Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Newbie here! Here's my issue: On 12/3/08, I took my 2006 Escape to the dealer to have a trans leak looked at. My vehicle only had 26,000 miles on it at the time so I was a little miffed that I was leaking any fluid at all! The left front axel seal was replaced at a cost of around $215 and I got my car back on 12/5/08. On 1/8/09, I took the vehicle back to the dealer for the same trans leak again, and a new oil leak. They replaced the axel seal again at their expense and told me I needed to have 3 oil leaks fixed! They fixed the oil pan gasket, front crank seal and right valve cover gasket. I questioned how could a vehicle with somewhat low mileage spring 3 oil leaks at once, right after trans work was done, and if the two are related. They assured me that this sort of thing happens and nothing they did when they fixed the trans leak (twice) caused the oil leaks. Cost just under $1,100 and didn't get my vehicle back until 1/14/09. Returned to the dealer on 2/2/09 with another trans and oil leak. The trans leak is definitely the same one that has been repaired twice already, but they think the oil leak is possibly yet another one! It is now the 6th and they are not done with my vehicle and can't confirm if the oil leak is one they already fixed or if it's a new one and they're going to charge me for it. In any of your "professional" opinions, do you think the oil leaks were caused by the trans seal repair and do you think it unusual that a vehicle with 26,000 miles on it that has been properly maintained should be leaking that much fluid from that many spots? At the same time???? I have made several attempts to contact Ford customer service to express my concern and dismay and have basically been told to get bent since my car is out of the warranty period (ended in August).

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I am no professional but something sounds fishy to me. My Escape 4x4 is almost 7 years old with 64k on the clock and I just had my first seal changed on the rear differential. The mechanic actually showed me where it was leaking. I also saw oil on the bottom of the oil pan during the inspection but he said he thought it was spilled from the oil filter during previous oil changes. (At least I think it was the oil pan, I didn't look that close but the spot was at the bottom of the motor below the oil filter.) The oil didn't look fresh like that on the rear diff. Personally, I think you should try a different dealer or mechanic and see what they say...

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
The transfer case center behind the engine has a breather fitting on top of the case right above the right side front axel seal. It is attached to the tube that runs up the transmission dip stick and curls back down. It looks like a disconnected vacuum line. The fitting on the case is very prone to loosen up at low miles. It throws oil around and can look like a number of different leaks. All it takes it 1 minute to tighten it up.

I'm not saying that is it but if they keep fixing things and new leaks show up it could be that.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I think you need a second opinion before you go back. Possibly some legal council. I think they are into your pocketbook for no good reason. At least from what you have told us. ;)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats a lot of money for less then $200 worth of seals. all the seals that you would need for the drive train are between 19-24 bucks each (i priced them out cause i have a few leaks). im at 149,000km none of my leaks cause me to worry as they are only minor. so other things will be getting fixed first.

if i were you would take it to a different dealership. if the same axle is leaking then its not a seal problem, its either the axle or the bushing not fitting properly and cause premature failure of the seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Here's an update. Service manager called me on Friday to say they are replacing the entire front left axel free of charge. Once they get that replaced, then they'll investigate the oil leak. At least they're not trying to charge me for the axel. And the loaner that I have is on them too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry for you bad luck :( , that's why i recently purchased an Extended warranty
for my escape , i had really had bad luck with my old car :wall: . i advice everyone to do the same .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts