Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a question for those who did the fluid change on the transfer case.I did a search before posting but i wasn't able to find anything about it.
So here's the question:
What type of oil have you guys used? The new Mercon V or there is something else?And also is a quart going to do it?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I thought, but the guy at FORD parts said that the mercon V is the one and i was like :shock: !!
He got me confused for a second there that's why i opted to check here first.

Do i need to use MOTORCRAFT only or what other brand??

Thank you SUVord.!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I used valvoline. I had a hard time sourcing that particular fluid in the synthetic. But its out there. Just pull the lower plug to drain. Then pull the upper plug and squeeze the bottle nozzle into the transfer case till it pours back out of the hole. And your full. Ohh and if I remember right you may need to use a small hand pump to get the liquid in the hole. Its been a little while since I did it.

Where gloves because the stuff smells horible and the smell will not come off your skin. Good luck.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ajc6882 said:
I used valvoline. I had a hard time sourcing that particular fluid in the synthetic. But its out there. Just pull the lower plug to drain. Then pull the upper plug and squeeze the bottle nozzle into the transfer case till it pours back out of the hole. And your full. Ohh and if I remember right you may need to use a small hand pump to get the liquid in the hole. Its been a little while since I did it.

Where gloves because the stuff smells horible and the smell will not come off your skin. Good luck.
Thanks man! I know how to do it ,i was just confused with the type of fluid i need to use.I guess that guy from the dealership did that to me. :wall: :bang: And you're right about the smell. :beer:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
goldash03 said:
That's exactly what I thought, but the guy at FORD parts said that the mercon V is the one and i was like :shock: !!
He got me confused for a second there that's why i opted to check here first.

Do i need to use MOTORCRAFT only or what other brand??

Thank you SUVord.!! :thumb:
Any reputable brand will do. For example, I use Amsoil.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Congratulations SNCF for your effort to post this.
Very enlightening and helpfull as long as someone bears in mind that those recomendations are for the pre 2007 models.
Also, Mercon V can be used as long as the transmission has been completely flushed of the Mercon. As mentioned in the chart Mercon and Mercon V are not intermixable.
Hello to gorgeous Poland.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts