Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm about to change rear diff and transfer case oil.
3.0 Litre automatic 4x4.
What type to use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check your owner's manual for fluid type and quantity.

For a 2008, they call for:
Power transfert fluid: 75W140 synthetic
Rear diff: 80W90

Should be relatively similar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Thanks,
The Power transfer/Transaxel have both a drain and a refill plug, so that is a
relative easy procedure to drain and refil.

But for the Rear diff, there is no drain plug.
You have to remove the back of it, drain out oil, clean, and add sealant and hope
is it leak free.
OR
Use a sucction pump (thru the refil plug) and remove the oil.

Do Anyone have experience to share?

Jonny

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I removed the rear differential oil by using a pump, it was easy. Just stick the suction tube and fish it the fill hole in pump out the old oil. Just move it around inside and try to get every last drop out. I fished it in pretty deep. I used a small hand pump(kind of a small bike pump made for oils and gas.) I bought it at an auto store but Harbor Freight tool has them cheap. Just fill to the top with the oil until it pours out the fill hole.

·
Registered
467 Posts
maybe it's a good idea to drive the car awhile before draining it as the oil will be hot and fluid.

w145 and w90 is very thick oil if cold...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Be sure you can get new oil into the front case before you drain the old. I used a funnel with a long hose and a reducer on the end that goes into the case. Slid the hose down behind the engine and into the case fill hole. You will need to remove the spare tire on 2005+ models to get the rear diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can Anyone please help me find the front and rear refill points on my 07? My 4x4 light comes on when i try to engage it, and I noticed a long while ago that there was a bolt loose on the t-case itself. I tightened it and then cam the warning light. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Kev

·
Registered
48 Posts
You sure it's an 2007? :? there is no 4x4 switch. The 2001-2004 model year you would have a switch on the dash along with no floor gear shift'er.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
091106 said:
You sure it's an 2007? :? there is no 4x4 switch. The 2001-2004 model year you would have a switch on the dash along with no floor gear shift'er.
He's/she's right. Here's the man page from the 2007 MY owners guide.

The 4WD system is always active and requires no driver input. It is capable of handling all road conditions, including street and highway driving as well as off-road and winter driving.
No switch for 2007

Sent from Tapa talk. Because SEO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts