Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got a brake job done yesterday and the shop also did a 30 point inspection and came up with that I needed all my fluids flushed. The mariner is over 100K and I have never serviced the tranny, I know very bad, but is it safe/worth doing a flush of the tranny now? How bout the other fluids like coolant?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
At 100000km changing, not flushing the coolant and the brake fluid seams logical.
As for flushing the transmission it is not something to have an opinion on without looking first hand a the fluid and tranny behaviour.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If nothing has been flushed in the first place, don't do it. Chances are, build up has accumulated. Flushing, ideally, removes this buildup. However, with that much time/mileage, that buildup could move to a new more sensitive area causing problems that were not previously there. Some may claim this to be an old wives tale. I speak from experience. I flushed the radiator in my Mustang at 75,000 miles and it promptly leaked on the way home. It freed up some corrosion on the bottom of the radiator that would have probably stayed with just a drain and fill. My opinion would be to just drain and refill and leave it at that. All of which can be done in the driveway for a heck of a lot cheaper than what they will charge you. If you have any questions, myself or the rest of the EC crew would be happy to guide you through the processes.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I had a small coolant leak in my '97 Ranger which Preston Stop Leak fixed. Got a radiator flush sometime later and the leak came back again!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah.. from anecdotal evidence I'd say no to the flush, if only because it could cause problems that didn't exist before. It shouldn't hurt though to do a "dump and fill" a couple of times.

I've only recently handed over a cool $3k for a recond transmission and would hate to see someone else do the same for no good reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Form what you all said and from what I can find on the internet everyone is in agreement. Just amazes me that a shop would recommend this, but then again I guess its a business....

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
May have been the shop. I also had to have my brakes changed while on a trip and they came back from the inspection telling me to change a bunch of fluids. I bought my Escape at a CarMax so I trust them and take Ean there. When I got home I went for my 3000 mile oil change and had them check everything out from the inspection and they said it was all bs. They were just trying to make money off me I guess. Find a shop you trust or like said above do maintence yourself if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts