Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to do a full oil change on the trans, pto and rear diff. I was going to get mobile 1 synthetic for the rear diff and pto. But for the transmission which mecron V is recommended? stuff from the ford dealer or another brand?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The Ford stuff of course! :peace:

Really, the one that meets the spec. Nothing more, nothing less. Going over the top with something higher priced is only guaranteed to give you a warm feeling about doing something special for you Escape. It's just my opinion, but it's also to empty your wallet. :doh:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It would also depend on your usage. "General" use vehicles can use anything meeting the spec., but if you want to keep the car for a long time and you operate under extreme conditions (-40 temperatures or lots of towing near or over the rating) you might want to go with something designed for your specific needs. I switched to Dexron VI because it was partly engineered by Petro Canada for extreme cold protection, but now they have the MV fluid out that meets Mercon V specs and is also designed for cold temperatures, so I'm switching to that soon. I'm not sure what I would use for extreme high temperatures (besides, my "extreme high temperature" is a nice cool day for Dasha).

Keep in mind that the CD4E transmission is known to be finicky about the fluid. Any time you stray from the Ford Motorcraft fluid, you run the risk of transmission failure. If you notice any bad symptoms like a bump stop, delayed engagement, or shifting flare, get the fluid out immediately and run Motorcraft fluid again for at least 10,000 km. Then you might try another brand if you're stubborn like me. :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my trans seems to slip randomly after shifting into D or from a stop. So the motorcraft stock trans oil it is for the tranny. The mobil 1 for the pto and rear diff is fine though? or are those picky too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts