Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a transmission thud going up inclines? Anytime I am going up a hill and take my foot off the gas a bit to slow down, then accelerating again, there is a short lag and a thud as the transmission catches again. Has anyone experienced this or know what, if any, issue there may be?

And also, if I were to add some transmission fluid. Which is the safest bet to go with. Mercon or Mercon V since I don't know what's in there. Is Mercon V "backward compatible" so to speak?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Depending on the speed and when I accelerate, I get the same thud.
It's usually slowing down to about 10-15mph and then hitting the gas.
I've learned to hit the accelerator easier to eliminate it. The transmission is shifting down, and then all of a sudden you want it to shift up, and it thuds, or changes gears abruptly.

Mercon V is said to better and is backward compatable, but I personally would stick with Mercon, but others will say go with the V. Read up on the past posts for other opinions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The only time I notice a hard shift on mine is when I accelarate as the truck is gearing down, like when aproaching a red light that turns green before you get there. I've never had this happen on a hill.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Glad I am not the only one. Yeah, it does usually happen at around 10-20 kmhr. I tend to baby the accelerator under the conditions in which I've known it to happen the most. Glad to hear it may be 'normal', or at least not immediate devastating transmission failure. :thumb:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. Opinions vary as far as fluid. I "flushed" mine using the Prowler method (7-6-3) initially and I've been using Mercon V ever since. I just made a cross country trip totaling 3,600 miles and have seen no issues. I switched at about 98,000 miles and am now near 110,000 and have seen no difference, good or bad. It's a matter of preference so do what you feel is best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts