Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few short clips from Transport Canada (TC), the Automotive Protection Agency (APA), and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) demonstrating the difference between all-season rubber and real winter tires.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
that was pretty cool. i knew that already. but it was nice to see it actually in a controlled environment

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The thread, or the tires?

:lol:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
can, you post the links (not embedded) so i can steal them? thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yeah I have seen these before. Very good videos to show the average person how the right tires can really help you out!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Especially those who think FWD vehicles only need winter tires on the front wheels.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Quite informative those video demonstrations. I am still very impressed with the cooper all terrains. Recently had to use the ABS system. No damage happened to either car. It was a relief. I would have been at fault, because of not concentrating.

Upon realising my error, the brake pedal was floored as hard as i could. The cooper all terrains made a very loud squeal. The escape stopped in a perfectly straight line. I actually felt the ABS system pulsing. Upon sliding to a complete stop, my escape was about six inches from the rear end of other car.

:yahoo: :stop:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My winter tires are coming off this week, so time to unsticky this post. :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
Especially those who think FWD vehicles only need winter tires on the front wheels.
Amen to that!

Back in the day I lived in NE Ohio. The northern US snowbelt (aka, rustbelt). I drove on summer, not snow treads all year round. I never got stuck, never had an accident. It was simply a matter of driving for the conditions, and knowing how your car will react to certain inputs. I also didn't go out in unfavorable conditions if I didn't have to go.

As for now. I live in Texas. I don't go if I don't have to during unfavorable conditions... :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't be such a winter tire advocate if people could be trusted to drive for the conditions. The problem is when, say, 25% of us on the road have winter tires and are going at a speed of 70 km/h. How many drivers with all-seasons will stay at their at their safe speed of 50 km/h (hypothetical)?

In the summer, most are driving to the limits of the driver. Barring unforseen circumstances*, a driver usually knows where their limit is. In the winter, most are driving to the limits of the car. Few people truly understand where that limit lies and how dynamic that limit is.

*being deer, debris, unsafe lane change, etc., which means the drivers capable of 250 km/h when everything goes right still can't safely do so in public.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread are one of the very few all season tires that carry the "Mountain and SnowFlake" label

indicating they meet the requirements for severe winter conditions. I have used these tires during the winter months and have been very happy with them. It is likely these tires provide improve overall performance over strictly "winter-use" tires in additon to carrying a 60,000 mile warranty. There is no pure winter only use tire that can provide anywhere near 50% of the treadwear warranty this tire provides. The Nokian WR is another all season tire alternative to winter only use tires.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These all-weather tires are essentially the same as a performance (e.g., H-rated) winter tire. There is a trade-off in winter performance over a Q-rated tire, but they are great for those that would otherwise run "no-seasons" due to storage or installation issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have liked to see the cars stay in the same lanes they started in when they switched tires. The lane closest to the camera is icey where the far lane is snow covered and offers better stopping. Also I would like to hear the engines when they are doing the cornering test because I'm sure you will hear the engines rev when they spin out while the second car is actually slowing going in/threw the corner then accelerating out of the corner.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Bart68 said:
I would have liked to see the cars stay in the same lanes they started in when they switched tires. The lane closest to the camera is icey where the far lane is snow covered and offers better stopping. Also I would like to hear the engines when they are doing the cornering test because I'm sure you will hear the engines rev when they spin out while the second car is actually slowing going in/threw the corner then accelerating out of the corner.
My thoughts exactly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts