Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Tribby, Latan and EscapeDtroy. :) The last time i went for a cruise around new south wales, would have been about 31 years ago. Can not remember a lot of the country towns. I definitely remember navigating the suburbs before entering Sydney.

My intention is to visit your state time permitting. My last venture over there was on a long weekend, with my first car being a volkswagon sedan. Sensational fuel economy, but not overly relaxing in driving comfort. I enjoyed it in n.s.w. and felt quite at ease. Not sure if it is my imagination but victoria seems different. Yes, i know victorians speak english, but i feel as though it is like being overseas.

My apology in advance should there be any victorians on here. It is meant in a kind way. Have been to quite a few victorian localities over the years. Not sure why but it is probably me, and how other people react to me. The architecture of victorian buildings differs to sth. australia. The victorians in general are friendly to a limit. I am aware that it is still basically australia, and there are borders defining that you are in another state.

Why is it that n.s.w feels comfortable? When i am in victoria, and it makes no difference if it is melbourne or a country town, it feels as though they live in another world. Each citizen has a certain loyalty and pride for his or her state. My errors have been committed in the victorian country pubs and melbourne. Never admit to originating from adelaide when over there. :lol: Over here we have schooners and pints. I think they still have pots and middies in victoria.

So in the progressing years, upon my travels i would bluff as to my origins. When ordering a beer, i learnt to say ' a glass of beer' or a ' pot of beer' please. My original mistakes were ' A schooner of beer please'. I was in a pub at the suburb of " Carlton" in melbourne. Should never have mentioned adelaide plus ordering a 'schooner'. A quarter of the customers went quiet for a moment. A few of them turned to look and i was regarded as having two heads. :lol:

Not all victorians are critical,but there are still those who regard adelaide people as a bunch of jerks. Have any of you new south wales blokes been to victoria? Do they seem a bit unusual to you? I am sure it is not my imagination. Have been to a few n.s.w. pubs on that long weekend adventure. If i mentioned to being from adelaide they did not bat an eyelid. Actually their attitude is quite tolerant. Every time i venture over the victorian border, it is like being on another planet.

My guess is that n.s.w. people are more tolerant as in being sophisticated.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Stone,

Keep heading north & you will find us cane toads even more tolerent. Why we even let those southerners move up here.

My better half has rellies in SA, so know a couple of your variations to the queens english. I've often heard the story of Aunt going to a drive thru and asking for a slab of echoes, only to get a blank look.

Cheers,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts