Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can anyone tell me what the codes mean and what I may be able to do myself to fix them? Obviously I'm no mechanic but I do like to learn and save money if possible.

Thanks,

Art

Light Communication Device Gadget Red Material property

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi , hit the search function they be plenty about , also on the interweb also for codes , good luck .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi , hit the search function they be plenty about , also on the interweb also for codes , good luck .
Thanks, looks like I'll have to get my own tester. That pic was done at a parts store so I can't hit enter now, but ty.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Since it affects both banks of the engine, you should look for something in common to both, an unmetered air leak/vacuum leak, MAF, low fuel pressure.

Those codes mean that the computer has tried to add more fuel so it won't be lean, but it gets to a point and won't try to add any more, and sets these faults.

Not sure what year you have, or if it has that one vacuum tee that likes to break.

Reactions: mrav1965

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks, looks like I'll have to get my own tester. That pic was done at a parts store so I can't hit enter now, but ty.
Lol , i meant search "Here" on the forums , the link i inserted is just one of many with that code , good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since it affects both banks of the engine, you should look for something in common to both, an unmetered air leak/vacuum leak, MAF, low fuel pressure.

Those codes mean that the computer has tried to add more fuel so it won't be lean, but it gets to a point and won't try to add any more, and sets these faults.

Not sure what year you have, or if it has that one vacuum tee that likes to break.
2012 XLT V6 2WD

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
98 Posts
code readers only give you a place to start looking, they do not direct you to individual parts replacement.

no reason to buy one, since there are many auto parts stores that will pull codes for free… They can even give you a print out usually(or let you take a picture).

if you are running extremely lean, you are going to burn your valves, and rings. I would stop driving it now.

It could be a leaking vacuum, it could be a faulty mass airflow sensor… But it could also be a partially clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, clogged injectors

you would be able to do more with a digital multimeter, and a lesson on how to use them. All electrical components have specific values for operation, easy to test.

·
Registered
2008 Mazda Tribute grand touring 3.0
10 Posts
Depending on mileage etc there could be several causes. Since you have a decent aftermarket scanner there see if you can look at "freeze frame". This will tell you WHEN it set, like if it set at idle or at a higher rpm, if the engine was cold or warmed up. These can be clues.
Normally I'd be looking for 2 things off the bat, obvious vacuum leaks, and sensors. Here are some of the things that can cause a lean code on both banks:
MAF sensor dirty, or intake tube/vacuum leak issue with unmeasured air (unmeasured by the MAF) entering the manifold.
Vacuum leaks. either all the time, or just before warm up (which is usually intake plenum gaskets)
Misfiring spark plugs, but since you didn't mention misfires that's not likely.
Worn out O2 sensors. O2 sensors produce a little voltage that pushes back against voltage by the PCM, when they get old and worn out they can't put out as much, and when it gets too low the short and long term trim gets to a value that tells the PCM to set that code. Could be worn out sensors.
EXHAUST leak, even after the sensors. A lot of people assume this can't cause issues but it can, but it has to be fairly big.
Pull out the MAF and look into it, get some MAF sensor cleaner and spray it out. If you can, look at fuel trims with your scanner, and see if you can graph the O2 sensors if they are switching really slow it's likely they are just old.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
One other thing that can lead to a false P0174/0171 pair of codes is a faulty DPFE. An additional cause of the codes may be a clogged orifice in the EGR tube. Only from a limited experience on a 3.8V6 that had the codes on different occasions, so it anecdotal.
If you do not experience other symptoms of a lean condition, then the code produced can be caused by things other than air leaks or insufficient fuel supply. The above is one example.
tom

·
Registered
348 Posts
Also, make sure the airbox is installed right, especially the cover. and make sure a proper/clean air filter is installed. you never know sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts