Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

my dad drives an explorer and on his key FOB he has the trunk pop button.
curently i dont use the factory remote i have an after market alarm with a trunk pop option. was wondering if its posible to instal the actuators in the tailgate so i could use this feature. are there actuators made for this truck already? (maybe the limited comes with this feature?)

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
There is not a rear hatch open option available that I know of for any year escape. It would seem like alot of work both engineering the new latch, mounting it and then wiring it into your remote alarm. Plus the stock push rods would not raise the hatch on thier own (if so desired) so you would have to upgrade those.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah surfscape thats a good point that i did not think about. with all the extra insilation i put in the tailgate i already have to lift it myself so it would definatly not open on its own. for some reason i just figured it would be an easy modification.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Not that this helps much, but the '08+ models have a button on the factory key that pops open the glass portion of the liftgate with two presses.

You could probably add an aftermarket solenoid to the liftgate mechanism, though. It may take some engineering work, but anything is possible.

It looks like you have a 2005-2007 Escape.

You'll need to run a +12V wire into the liftgate, since the only wires that run into the liftgate at the factory connector on a 2005-2007 model are for the wiper/washer motor, the rear defroster, and the parking light feed for the license lamps. Luckily, that 14-pin connector has four empty pin locations, so you can either find another connector from a wrecked Escape and use one male and one female pin, or just run the wire through an empty pin opening. The BLACK wire on that connector is the ground wire, so you can tap into that on the liftgate side of that harness for the ground.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My search hit this thread so I thought I'd ask my question here.
The keyfob..has a little trunk logo with a "x2" ....if you hit the button twice the glass in the liftgate will raise. But why have the x2? Since as far as I can tell..pressing it once does absolutely nothing. Should it?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
it has to be pressed twice to prevent accidentally opening the glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts