Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to help my friend with his AC and we can't quite figure out what the problem is, we're trying to fix it without going to a mechanic but we're relative noobs when it comes to air conditioning. It's not an Escape I know but anyone who knows about AC, if you have an idea I'd appreciate it.

He has a 96 Cadillac Deville, Northstar engine, and his AC quit blowing cold and the compressor will no longer kick on. He checked the system, it has something like 100 psi on the low side, wayy too high. We vacuumed the system out and added a can of freon/ dye. We didn't see any leaks but this is what happenned. After opening the can's valve, the pressure usually jumps up to 70 or 80, then bleeds down below servicable value and you add more. This time, it jumped to 70, started dropping to about 40 then kicked back up to 50 and kept slowly climbing (this with the motor running). I didn't notice if the compressor came on or not. We vacuumed the system again, and ran the car with the manifold hooked up, it maintained a vacuum with the AC marked ON but the compressor not kicking on. When we added freon, same thing happenned- jumped to 70, dropped then started climbing again. I forgot to check to see if the compressor ever came on but it wasn't on 5 minutes after we started.

My guess is that there's a switch that opens the system (or activates the compressor) once you hit a certain pressure, but that then overpressurizes the system or opens it to leaks and the system then fails, but that is just a guess on my part. Any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check the air vents if its blowing cold at all. To find out if the AC is sufficiantly charged you need to get a gauge or a thermometer and put it in the air vent. It should be at least 30 degrees colder then the ambient temperature. For example if the out side temp is 90 then the inside temp would be 60. but the inside temp should not get colder then 40 degrees or it could be overcharged. From what your saying even if you add freon you dont hear the clutch turning on which could mean you might have an electrical problem or might even have a bad clutch or compressor. Your best bet would be to bring it to a professional to have the system diagnosed cause you might end up blowing up the lines or even adding air to the system. I myself have charged a few cars and converted a few older R12 systems. I have experienced your problem a few times and it was all due to the clutch not turning on and activating the compressor causing high pressures on the low side. Good luck guys!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts