Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this TSB performed? My 2009 Escape has an odd clunk when lightly pressing on the accelerator pedal or taking my foot off of it. I can duplicate the same noise, only louder, by shifting from park to reverse. It's a clunk from the front end of the Escape.

The dealer service manager took a test drive with me and he confirmed the noise, but they are at a loss as to what's causing it. So I ran across this TSB and the description has some similarities to my Escape's clunk.

If you have this problem or had the TSB performed, can you tell me what the symptoms were? Has it been repaired? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I do not know the specific TSB you mention, but:
1/Why did the service manager after verifying your concern did not lift the car up and check it thoroughly?
2/If the clunk is not happenning when going over pot holes, then it is not a struts issue.
3/Two areas one should look into with similar concerns.
The first one is the brake calibers attaching components and the second one is the intermediate shaft bearing holding components.
I hope you resolveyour problem soon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SUVord,

My dealer did have the Escape on a lift and I was told they tightened everything up that they could.

As to the struts, I agree. I'm just desperate to find a solution. Thanks for the other possibilities. I think next time I'm going to push the dealer harder to resolve the problem and/or take it to a different dealer.

Dave

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had a similar problem. They thought I was crazy but I finally got pissed when they couldn't figure it out and made them put it on a lift and I stood there under it and made them start checking things. Turned out, the noise/clunk/buckling noise I experienced when I put mine into reverse or similar circumstances to yours was that the rear trans roll restrictor mount was bad and had to be replaced. Have them check that. I too thought it was in the front, at least it sounded it, but once that was fixed, it stopped.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
timothyjay2004 said:
I had a similar problem. They thought I was crazy but I finally got pissed when they couldn't figure it out and made them put it on a lift and I stood there under it and made them start checking things. Turned out, the noise/clunk/buckling noise I experienced when I put mine into reverse or similar circumstances to yours was that the rear trans roll restrictor mount was bad and had to be replaced. Have them check that. I too thought it was in the front, at least it sounded it, but once that was fixed, it stopped.
Thanks timothyjay2004, I'll mention it to my service advisor when I bring the Escape in for service.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I brought it in for similar issues and the dealership greased the struts.
Two weeks later, it happened again and they replaced the U-joint and steering shaft.
Five days later, it was worse... and they diagnosed a bad U-joint and steering shaft replacement from the previous visit. This is under a different TSB. See my posting history.
They are going to replace the pieces again... and if it fails, a new steering column is in store!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts