Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, Ford released a TSB for a vehicle whose standard three-year bumper-to-bumper warranty would have cleared at least six months ago.

Here's the top of the first page.

TSB 15-0157
REAR QUARTER PANEL WHEEL WELL LIP CORROSION AND/OR PERFORATION

FORD: 2009-2012 Escape
MERCURY: 2009-2011 Mariner, Mariner Hybrid
ISSUE: Some 2009-2012 Escape and 2009-2011 Mariner vehicles may exhibit rear quarter panel(s) with corrosion and/or
perforation around the wheel well lip area.

I don't know why the 2008 model year was excluded.

I am checking with my dealership to see if my seven-year ESP will cover this TSB as my (previous) Escape started developing rust earlier this year, and the extended warranty expires 2/2016 (the vehicle is a MY 2009). I've watched Ford's summary video of the repair (on a resource specific to Ford employees and service programs), and it looks like it would be a solid two-day process from start to finish, including the repaint process.

If my dealership gives me the OK for getting this done on my Escape, I'll release the remainder of the TSB.

·
Premium Member
16,330 Posts
That's not fair, I think that they just doing this to protect themself for future lawsuit or class action, they have to address a proper recall on this - come on Ford.

·
Premium Member
14,902 Posts
Unless you bought the extended warranty this is meaningless and just identifies the issue. I'd also be leery of "perforated" which means rusted all the way through, which few are

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are four repair kits. Two for each side, one inner and outer for each side.

There's probably a guideline on what gets called as a recall versus a major inconvenience. I get that the rust eventually leads to rear suspension poking through the rear cargo hold, but it's not an axle snapping or an air bag with metal shrapnel...

·
Premium Member
14,902 Posts
tang said:
There are four repair kits. Two for each side, one inner and outer for each side.

There's probably a guideline on what gets called as a recall versus a major inconvenience. I get that the rust eventually leads to rear suspension poking through the rear cargo hold, but it's not an axle snapping or an air bag with metal shrapnel...
Where do you get "recall"? This is a TSB which is an acknowledgement by Ford that an issue exists and how to go about servicing the issue...

... Then hand you the bill. Nothing about this TSB indicating it's part of a recall

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just had both my rear wheel wells repaired on my 08. 1 side was rusted trough and the other was starting to bubble my paint. Ended up paying $350 out the door with a local shop. 1 shop didn't want to even touch my E and suggested I just sell it ASAP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MadMax said:
tang said:

Where do you get "recall"? This is a TSB which is an acknowledgement by Ford that an issue exists and how to go about servicing the issue...

... Then hand you the bill. Nothing about this TSB indicating it's part of a recall
I was addressing Frenchy's concern that this should be considered a recall, not just a TSB.

·
Premium Member
14,902 Posts
Sorry, but they'll never recall Es because of rust. Unless it becomes like a Windstar problem :mad:

·
Premium Member
16,330 Posts
I'm at my dealer right now, I ask for this TSB , nothing show on OASIS for my E :shrug:

But they are aware and nothing can be done even if you have the ESP :bang:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confirmed... my dealer says this isn't covered by the ESP.

So it's likely released to prevent some sort of lawsuit... that's my guess, anyway.

At least there's a partial body repair as opposed to forcing a full repair on the whole panel.

·
Premium Member
16,330 Posts
That was my thoughts too on my second post.

Tang if you know more about the repair kit, chime in.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OEM parts (they are cut outs of the rear panels)

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L8Z-7827790-A Inner Patch Panel - Passenger Side
8L8Z-7827791-A Inner Patch Panel - Driver Side
8L8Z-7827846-A Outer Patch Panel - Passenger Side
8L8Z-7827847-A Outer Patch Panel - Driver Side

Other things you will need per the TSB
- 3M™ Weld-Thru II Coating
- ValuGard Rust Preventive
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Fiberglass Reinforced Body Filler
- Body Filler

And of course, a cut off wheel and a welder. The TSB suggests a MIG welder.

I'll try to figure out how to get this TSB on the site.

On another note, if someone can clarify what a D7 condition code means for warranty and coverage limits, I'd appreciate it:

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are
determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO
CONDITION CODE
D7

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Would it be worth asking a dealership about this to see what they can do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
New member here in Ontario Cda. Am in the process of parting with my '06 Ranger P/U in favor of an '09 - '12 Escape.

Reason: I love my Ranger but can't put a baby car seat in it. The Escape is the closest vehicle to the Ranger and I prefer the '09 -'12 body style over the newer ones.

Question 1: In my search for a used Escape, is this rust problem visible from the outside? from inside the wheel wheel? only from underneath?

Question 2: Could a vehicle that was rustproofed when new be relatively free of this problem or would it still be an issue.

Any additional information on this range of Escapes would be greatly appreciated in the search for my Ranger replacement.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Larry LGT 165 said:
Question 1: In my search for a used Escape, is this rust problem visible from the outside? from inside the wheel wheel? only from underneath?

Question 2: Could a vehicle that was rustproofed when new be relatively free of this problem or would it still be an issue.
1. It comes from the inside, but if you feel inside the body lip, you should be able to tell. On the outside, the paint is starting to bubble on my car. Some people will see actual perforation.

2. In theory, but it can vary from car to car, application to application.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tang said:
Larry LGT 165 said:

1. It comes from the inside, but if you feel inside the body lip, you should be able to tell. On the outside, the paint is starting to bubble on my car. Some people will see actual perforation.

2. In theory, but it can vary from car to car, application to application.
Thanks Tang, everybody seems to give the Escape a 4 or 4.5 out of 5 stars but that is based on early low mileage feedback.

Wheel well rust is pretty commonplace in road salt country but I am wondering if the Escape is worse than average vehicles as some literally have rust traps built in between inner and outer body panel spot welds.

Is this just cosmetic or does it advance to a structural issue around suspension attachments prematurely?

·
Premium Member
14,902 Posts
Is this just cosmetic or does it advance to a structural issue around suspension attachments prematurely?
If left unchecked it can get real bad. The good news is if you get down on your hands and knees and give the wheel wells a good look see it's pretty easy to spot. Check the tailgate as well, another rust-prone area

·
Registered
12 Posts
MadMax said:
If left unchecked it can get real bad. The good news is if you get down on your hands and knees and give the wheel wells a good look see it's pretty easy to spot. Check the tailgate as well, another rust-prone area
Thanks Max, I have seen other vehicles where the front towers have rusted right thru, from moisture trapped between the multiple layers of thin metal that were impossible to undercoat, so reading about issues on the escape concerned me.

My '06 Ranger has been undercoated 3 times over the years and shows no sign of rust despite our heavy roadsalt usage here in Ontario.

We are retired and only put on about 10k / 6000 miles a year so probably will end up finding something in the 150,000k /90,000 mile range.

All vehicles have areas of concern, that is a given. How would you personally rate a used '09 to '12 E overall as a potential purchase?

Thanks again, Larry

·
Premium Member
16,330 Posts
:topic:
Hi Larry and :welcome:

You can post in the tailgate chat or and search our site for plenty of infos on the 08-12 Escape.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts