Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Haven't been on the board in a long time...and its good to be back. I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but here goes. I bought my 2001 used from a dealer, and I'm not sure what maintenance was done for it. Is there any way that I can check to see using my VIN or something? Or, if I take it in to the dealership will they be able to tell me and/or be able to complete them for me?? (They are free right??)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
As far as I know, all Ford dealerships are hooked up and can tell you what maintenance has been done by a dealership. They can also give you outstanding recalls on your VIN.

Personally, with a new used car, I do everything in the maintenance schedule, just so I can start with a clean slate. Parts, not including labour, runs about $300 for such a job. Takes one weekend to do by yourself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, sorry to bring up this question again after so long, but I am really confused. :confused: :confused:

First, some terminology:

Recall: some part on the car is faulty, and the dealer will replace it for you.

TSB: the dealer has been getting complaints of a certain problem, and it may occur to you as well.

Now, some questions:

1. Am I correct in my definitions?

2. Am I correct in assuming that the dealer will replace whatever needs replacing (either for the recall or TSB) for free?

3. I bought my Escape used. Will the dealer just perform the services for all of the recalls and TSBs that haven't been done yet, or do I have to exhibit symptoms for them to start replacing stuff?

I am a 20 year old college student with a 3.75 GPA, but this sh!t is beyond me...

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Only recalls are performed for free, whether inside or outside of the warranty period. They are normally safety-related and forced by the NHTSA.

TSBs are for the use of Ford technicians and mechanics, and aren't even really supposed to be public knowledge. They are there to supplement their training or to present an often-overlooked solution. The TSBs I have posted are only a fraction of what is out there, but the rest are just things like notes on how to use Ford's code-reader, or how to perform certain tasks on OASIS, Ford's internal service network. TSBs are not done for free. The majority of them are covered under warranty, but even then certain TSBs like ones on how to install a brake pad do not entitle you to free brake pad changes.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
What Squishy said ^^^^. Also, my dealer's service writer at the Ford house advised me that an vehicle not seen by a Ford authorized repair facility in the past so many (IIRC) 24 months will be dropped from the OASIS report system. So, it could be that if a Ford Dealer sold you the vehicle, the only thing on the record will be when the serviced it out for resale on their lot. ;)

In otherwords, it's not all inclusive. :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts