Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking of ideas to modify my '05 Escape Hybrid...and I'm toying with the idea of adding a turbo to it (or even massaging the engine up a little with a supercharger).

Is this even possible? I've searched the internet for answers, but can't find anything difinitive. Anyone actually have a clue about this?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It it very possible, you would have to have to have a custom turbo, intercooler, etc. It has never been done, thats why you probably never have seen it on the net. But the big question is, and this goes for the hybrid guru's, what kind of strain; if any would be placed on the generator that charges the baterries. Also a question comes to mind, of how the Hybrid works (as i really dont). As the combustion engine is first used then switches to the Electric motor after some time...... :confused: So the turbo would be only used for the first few gears :confused:

Sandman02ds said:
So I've been thinking of ideas to modify my '05 Escape Hybrid...and I'm toying with the idea of adding a turbo to it (or even massaging the engine up a little with a supercharger).

Is this even possible? I've searched the internet for answers, but can't find anything difinitive. Anyone actually have a clue about this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I was thinking in terms of the hybrid part:

The turbo shouldn't have any affect on the generator since the batteries charge when the vehicle is breaking. The turbo will only be available when in gas mode.

The issue I'm thinking about may be when the vehcile is in both gas and electric mode (during acceleration, both are used) and at certain times when driving when I can see that the batteries are charging.

I did read on another thread that it's even possible that the turbo could quite possibly aid in charging the batteries faster, though I think this is more fiction than fact.

I've got a little time before I start my make-over, but I wanted to get all this research out of the way so I can have my ultimate plan ready to go when the time comes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are TWO generators in the hybrid--MG1--works with the ICE to recharge the hybrid battery and to provide propulsion. The MG2 recaptures regenerative braking forces and uses this for recharging the hybrid battery.

There are NO gears on the hybrid as it uses an electronic CVT. Your question on the turbo installation will need to address all the additional software that the hybrid versions has over the standard ICE Escape. Without access to the Ford Software, it is very likely you are going to run in significant problems, if not a vehicle that will not operate properly.

The Escape Hybrid does not have the OTTO designed engine that a turbo is utilized for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts