Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 escape XLS 4WD 2.0, sometimes the turn signals work, but most times they don't. Bulbs and fuses ok.
Also my hazard flashers always work.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

As for the signals, before 2005, the Escape used a combined turn signal and hazard flasher module, located under the left side of the instrument panel, above the kick panel. It's a yellow or blue plastic rectangle. Before you replace it, make sure the two connectors (C2027a and C2027b, shown below the yellow flasher module) are securely plugged into the flasher module, since they may be loose or have broken tabs.

The replacement flasher module is Motorcraft SF-621, which is also a heavy-duty trailer flasher.

FYI, 2005 and newer Escapes/Mariners/Tributes do not use a flasher module. Turn signals and hazards are controlled by the Smart Junction Box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help i'll try to check it out tomorrow, i didn't know if it might be the turn signal switch or not.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Some switches that Ford built/outsourced corroded. Sometimes you only need to disassemble the column cover and look into/at the switch body. Inside are crummy little brushes/contacts that load up with a light layer of corrosion. As I recall, a light spray of electic contact cleaner is all that is needed. I have that issue on my 1994 F-150. About once every five years spruces up the contacts and gets things back to normal operating condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry if I should have started a new thread for this, but this is as close as I've come to the answer I'm looking for so I thought I would ask here.

I have a 2002 Escape XLS FWD 3.0 which I purchased used and without the factory (or dealer) -installed towing kit.

I added the factory trailer wiring harness, but only the trailer position indicators are activated (when the parking lights or headlights are on). That is, on the trailer there are no brake lights, turn signals, or flashers--only running lights.

Is it possible that I need a special flasher module to send the brake/turn signal to the trailer? Since I only just found the information in this thread, I haven't had a chance to check the connections at C2027A yet.

By the way, the trailer harness running lights are on a completely different circuit which does not route through C2027A which explains how the trailer plug can partially work. The running lights are hot at all times from Fuse 15 which routes to the Parking Lamp Relay and makes it to the trailer harness via Fuse 21 (and C270E).

In case you're wondering, all my other lamps are operating correctly.

I'll monitor this thread and post back the results of inspecting C2027A.

Thanks!
Robert
in Austin, TX

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe I have found the answer on escape-central:
http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/sh ... eadid=1894

Which states in part:
This morning, went to dealer and told him about non-powered flasher/brakes wires on factory harness.

He then sent me to a guy's office in back of garage (service). When I explained him, he said...hum... I think I saw a service note about that... He then picked a big pile of paper and searched through it.

He came back with a paper (ref. # 2258) which was saying something like that (it was in french so here is a translation):

quote:BROADCAST MESSAGES:
2258 Towing package: ... on some 2001-2002 Escape, trailer harness may not work properly ...Escape having factory installed towing package have YELLOW flasher module part # YL8Z-13350-BA while those NOT having factory installed towing package have BLUE flasher module part # YL8Z-13350-AA. If factory trailer harness is added to vehicle, flasher module must be replaced by "BA" model...

Went to dealer today to get YL8Z-13350-BA to find out it has been replaced by YL8Z-14N089-BA. However, new module is also yellow. It's possible that the new part also has a second part number for a bracket which seems to have been integrated with the old module but isn't with the new one. I don't have details on this yet.

--
I hope this also helps other folks. I'll post back here any more information I get.

--Robert

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi everyone, and jp it looks like u really know ur stuff !
i have a 2007 mecury mariner that did not come with the factory tow package. after extensive research and a ton of phone calls to many dealers im left pulling my hair posting.php?mode=reply&f=29&t=995# i have the reverse park aid sensors and i have found the factory part number 6L8z13a576BA which is the factory harness that plugs into the rear connector which is behind the rear drivers side bumber. appearently that part replaces the current harness which consists of the connectors for the park aid sensors. the new part plugs into the connector and into each park aid sensors and gives u the 4 pin connector.. heres my problem....i have light tested the big connector behind the bumber which i do see the wires; green, yellow, brown/with white stripe , and black as well as the wires for the park aid sensors. i have power for the running lights but no turn signals. from my understanding there might be a relay to power the turn signals to power them on which on both fuse boxes "smart junction box" and "under the hood box" all the relays are there but one its right in the middle on the back side of the smart junction box ..i can email pic,sry i cant figure out on how to put a pic in here....i do have a fuse for "towing" in my "sjb" that is powered .....please help ...i will be checking back daily for any results as well as update if i find out how to fix this problem... thank you ahead josh

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is the only way to remove the front turn signal from an 08+, to remove the bumper and headlight? I looked in the engine compartment and the turn signal is behind the sheetmetal for the fender.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i found one dealer that was able to fax me a diagram of the "towing package"..which was the same pic that u sent me that link to ,....they told me that the sjb is different for trailer tow than from the non trailer tow ..they said the cost for the sjb that has trailer tow is 181.88. i guess the difference is from my understanding is the relay in that diagram is not a sold seprately, comes in with the "trailer tow" sjb, their price was $181.88.
i was talking to a different dealer and they said that not only ihave to buy
part number 6L8z13a576ba to get the wiring .i would also have to buy a converter made buy ford which that part number is 15a416 (im pretty sure the first "1" was a one not a i) which i guess from what he was telling me plugs into a couple different things like both tailights etc and route power....it sounded like a aftermarket module that if u go onto etrailer.com they show u a video as well as sell a plug and play module for my particular veichcal.... i know it sounds like a way better solution to just go with the aftermarket way but when i tried to purchase it from my local guy
(which i did buy for my wifes 05 escape) said they dont offer it for my car... thus what made me go oem
i did however google the what i think is the part number of the sjb from ur diagram and found a very interesting site which was confirming kinda of what ur were talking bout "programing " the sjb
the site is http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/muddyford/2010-06-22_021201_1121.pdf .but it kinda looks like that is more geared towards trouble shooting not programming...but then again i dont know what that ford tool is caplable of doing weather just to read or also change too....tomorrow im going to call a few dealers and ask around bout programing the sjb.....thanks a ton for ur support and knowdlege
its a surpassed bout 10 diff dealers in michigan in one conversation which took me many days just to get where u took me in one response....let me know what u think bout that link if that sounds like kinda of what ur talking bout and bout having to buy diff sjb?
thank u ahead
josh

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a turn signal problem, and I'm at my wits end!!! I bought a 2002 Tribute LXV6 for my wife about 2 months ago. 1 month ago the turn signals and hazard lights just stopped working. I checked the fuses, and thy were good. I assumed it was the flasher so I just replaced it. The lights still won't work. Can anyone help??? The switches are in two seperate places so I figured it had to be the flasher. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al Glover

·
Registered
49 Posts
J Young said:
I have a 2001 escape XLS 4WD 2.0, sometimes the turn signals work, but most times they don't. Bulbs and fuses ok.
Also my hazard flashers always work.
Well If I yelled at you and flipped you the bird I apologize. I guess it really was the model without turn signals. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
screem9 said:
I have a turn signal problem, and I'm at my wits end!!! I bought a 2002 Tribute LXV6 for my wife about 2 months ago. 1 month ago the turn signals and hazard lights just stopped working. I checked the fuses, and thy were good. I assumed it was the flasher so I just replaced it. The lights still won't work. Can anyone help??? The switches are in two seperate places so I figured it had to be the flasher. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al Glover
Do you have power to your flasher? If you don't, that could be the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

just an FYI, I have an '07 Escape Hybrid FWD, and I had a ground fault in my trailer wiring harness, in the trailer. This caused the following symptoms;

-Left turn signal is active / operational
-Right turn signal is completely inactive / inoperational
-Emergency light switch works, however, only the left side flashes; right side is inoperable.
-All of this is also reflected in the instrument cluster.

After an afternoon of research, I figured out that the resulting cause of these symptoms ultimately ends up inside the SJB. The SJB is supposed to isolate fault branches, and retry them. if the fault is not cleared shortly after the first isolation is reset, the SJB permanently locks out that branch to maintain other functions. In this case, I knew that the trailer was the cause here, so for me it was easy; the biggest problem, was how to bring it back after the trailer was disconnected. I connected my OBDII reader, found no DTC's, but, what was significant here, was that I performed a reset from the controller, which re-set the system, and restored turn signal operation. Now everything works, and I haven't spent any money. I'm using a simple $200 INNOVA reader from Canadian Tire; I've had it for about 5 years now. I Hope this posting saves someone some money at some point; I haven't read about anybody else doing this on any other forum.

Note.
Please remember to always post solutions not seen elsewhere for others to use; pay it forward. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 mercury mariner that did not come with a factory tow option. I installed a tail light converter for my trailer two years ago. I got the light converter that runs an additional power source, so it does not drain put a drain on the vehicle lights. In the last two years I have had to change this part four times. I was told that I need to change the flasher relay, but I can not find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts