Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the mtx thunderform with a 12" sub, and some tweeters from a 2006 mercury mariner. Im going to install them next weekend. Does anyone else have these? If ya do, how do they perform? Im adding these to my 2004 Ford Escape XLT which currently has a Pioneer Premier head unit. Im thinking about switching the stereo back to stock 6-disc cd. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

[mod]Moved to Audio/Video Mods[/mod]

·
Registered
103 Posts
what kind of a crossover will you be using with the tweeters?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opps started the post in the wrong place.. sorry. :(

I was told that I wont need to use any crossovers when I install the factory tweeters. Jpark posted a wiring diagram of the audio system. He told me its pretty simple to do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ajc6882 said:

I was told that I wont need to use any crossovers when I install the factory tweeters. Jpark posted a wiring diagram of the audio system. He told me its pretty simple to do.
well, if JP says it, I'll believe it, although that's typically not the case.
JP, how does this work?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Stock tweeters from the MACH stereos are actually quite decent...I think they are a lower-model JBL tweeter, that would likely sound better with more power behind them. They will be an obvious improvement over just 6x8's in the doors...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
ajc6882 said:

well, if JP says it, I'll believe it, although that's typically not the case.
JP, how does this work?
Yeah. Double check they're only receiving filtered audio , else the first time you hook them up they'll go bang. :shock:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jpark. Just want to check one more time to make sure that the tweeters get the same signal as the front speakers. Like you show in the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ajc6882 said:
Jpark. Just want to check one more time to make sure that the tweeters get the same signal as the front speakers. Like you show in the wiring diagram.
well, it's not a matter of them getting the same signal as the front speakers - that would be bad. you want them only receiving the upper frequencies of that signal.

I presume the stock system that features components in the front doors (separate woofer and tweeter) has a crossover in there somewhere, either at the head unit or after it. How is the wiring, is there just a spot for you to plug in the tweeters?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the wireing diagram the tweeters run off the same wires that supply the speakers. and the diagram shows no crossover unless its part of the tweeter. I couldnt see any crossover near the tweeter. Thats why im concerned. im gonna find that diagram to show.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote rom Jpark:

Here's the deal on the 2001-2004 tweeters: the audio system actually connects to them FIRST, since they contain a small crossover network that then feeds the larger door speakers. The wiring for the tweeters isn't usually there if your Escape didn't have the tweeters from the factory, but it's easy to add them by splicing into the wiring.

I already have a thread up showing the 2001-2004 factory wiring. Look at the 3rd picture down for the tweeter wiring!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=903

·
Registered
103 Posts
ajc6882 said:
Here's the deal on the 2001-2004 tweeters: the audio system actually connects to them FIRST, since they contain a small crossover network that then feeds the larger door speakers. The wiring for the tweeters isn't usually there if your Escape didn't have the tweeters from the factory, but it's easy to add them by splicing into the wiring.
Makes sense, and should sound good then!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That doesn't seem right. How are lows/mids getting through to the woofer if the input connects to the tweeters first? Do the tweets have a built in crossover?

·
Registered
103 Posts
this is entirely feasible, since the least expensive crossovers are just a capacitor. it's an interesting design, and at the very least you can be sure that the crossovers are appropriate for the tweeter being used in the application!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Exactly.

It's also why the factory tweeters have four pins. Two input pins grab the signal and feed it to a small crossover network, and two output pins feed the door speaker. The crossover is contained in the factory tweeter assembly, which feeds high-frequency signals to the tweeter and low-to-mid frequencies to the door speaker through the two extra pins.

·
Registered
103 Posts
that's a neat setup specifically because of what's being discussed - you can just stick the tweeters in line between the stock door speaker and the stock head unit and you've gone from 4 speakers to 6. much less complicated than most installs.

can't vouch for the quality of the stock tweets, but can vouch for it sounding MUCH better than whatever mess comes out of the stock door speakers without 'em. should make both sound better.

jeff

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope this all works out well. I'll let you know my results once I install my 12" MTX thunderform and the factory Mercury Mariner tweeters in my Escape.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jpark HELP PLEASE! (we need a button on the forum that automatically pages you, just like the batman signal)

I have a picture of the tweeters and mtx thunderform. My problem is that I dont know what the layout of the plug is for the tweeters. Each tweeter plug has four pins (like you said) I just dont know what each pin is. I thought if anyone has the wiring diagram for the plug it would be you. Please help(if you can). By the way I found the crossover that is built into the tweeters. You can see it in the first and second picture (little blue and yellow thing poking through the foam That I unwrapped.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts