Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a new MM last friday.

It's a Kiwi Green 4WD V6 and I love it so far (especially after upgrading from a 1992 Blazer S-10 4WD). (already put 280 miles on it)

However, I have noticed a bit of an eccentricity.

When accelerating first out of a parking lot, the gas pedal seems to twinge a bit when the doors auto-lock.

Not anything drastic, more of a click or something similar but I don't know if that's usual behavior.

Does that happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Probably the ABS self test.

The following was cut/paste from a TSB

ABS MODULE SELF-TEST CREATING A SLIGHT VIBRATION IN ACCEL/BRAKE PEDAL AT 12MPH (20 KM/H) AND/OR 42MPH (70 KM/H) SOME 2008-2009 ESCAPE/MARINER VEHICLES (EXCLUDES HYBRID) MAY EXHIBIT A SLIGHT VIBRATION IN THE ACCELERATOR/BRAKE PEDAL AT 12 MPH (20 KM/H) AND/OR 42MPH (70 KM/H) WHILE THE ABS MODULE PERFORMS A SELF-TEST. THE ABS MODULE WILL INITIATE A ONE TIME SELF TEST AT 12 MPH (20 KM/H) AND AT APPROX. 42 MPH (70 KMH) FOR EVERY KEY ON CYCLE. A ONE TIME SELF TEST MAY ALSO OCCUR AT 42MPH (70 KM/H) AFTER AN ABS EVENT. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING AN IMPROVEMENT THAT MAY RESOLVE THIS CHARACTERISTIC.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mine does it too - It is a speed sensor that then activates the auto locks. If it makes you feel better, 2 Hondas I had with auto locks and my wife's Mercedes also have a similar sensation. The ABS self test is the little flutter felt at 20 and 40mph.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It is an electronic accelerator pedal, not mechanical...could also be a momentary dip in the line voltage due to the draw on the electronics when the locking mechanism is activated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just an FYI, when I took my Escape in for its first oil change, the mechanic told me there was a TSB released for the 10's, something about the auto shift sensor and that they had a fix for it. Mine was covered under the factory warranty and took them an extra 30 min to fix the TSB. Ill have to look at the receipt again to give you all a better answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts