Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

twisted oil pump shaft on transmission

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mercurypos2006 
#1 ·
Anybody know what causes the oil pump shaft on the tranny to twist and break off. I thougght my pump just froze up and so I fixed the pump and replace the rod and same thing happened on start u0

#2 ·
Same thing happened to the 2004 I just bought.
Looked like a twizzler. Rebuilding right now. Could be a bunch of things from what I understand. A transmission is all run by hydraulics so for something to seize and cause it to twist like that probably means that there is a flow issue somewhere, maybe causing the pump to overheat and seize?

How long until it twisted again?

#4 ·
Check your coolant to ensure no fluid swap from a burst rad... Then I would pull the valvebody out, and clean the stink out of it. I just took mine apart and found that I had major contamination in the valvebody. Then while its out install the cd4e jr shift kit. It may help as it solves a lot of pressure issues in the tranny and its pretty cheap online(states it will help eliminate oil pump shaft breakage... Hopefully this will help you avoid doing what I am right now. Going on week three and finally just put the tranny and valvebody back together... now on to the engine!

#5 ·
Many years ago, while strolling through a VW dealer shop, I saw several brand new cars with their engines apart. Seems the factory unknowingly installed defective oil pump drive shafts. They broke off and starved the engine of oil. Some of the owners didn't shut the engine down soon enough....

#7 ·
Could be a plethora of things, from something simple to something not so much so. Is it throwing any codes? If you know anyone with a decent code reader hook it up to see if it gives you anything. That's where I would start. If your slipping it could be your clutches are fried and you need to rebuild. Hows the fluid look / smell? Any oily residue in your coolant tank?

#9 ·
I had the same problem twice on the same transmission on a 2007 3.0 4wd. I initially dropped the tranny and pulled the pump to replace the 2-4 band becauseof the very common 2nd gear issue. When I got it back together and fired it up it immediately twisted and broke the shaft. I thought it was because I torqued it too tight and didn't turn the crank by hand to ensure the rod seated properly before starting. So, I dropped it again and pulled the pump, replaced the rod, replaced the pump (the weld on the part the rod sits in broke), torqued it correctly and turned the crank by hand. Got it back together and it again immediately twisted and broke the shaft. I just pulled the whole tyranny from the car and went to the junkyard and pulled a supposed good replacement with a 90 warranty for $200. I'm going to install it this weekend and see how it performs. If it's good I'll tear apart the one that keeps twisting rods and attempt to rebuild it, and hopefully discover why it keeps twisting and breaking rods.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, yes the stack did slide out somewhat. I successfully pulled the fluid pump and replaced the broken band in the transmission. But, when I was trying to put the pump back on the holes weren't aligning properly and I pulled it back off to get a look at the holes. When I did so the stack slid out a little bit. I pushed it back in hoping for the best, but obviously this is what destroyed my transmission. It was completely dead after that. It twisted and broke two rods even after replacing the pump, torqued correctly and turning the engine by hand before starting. I think when the stack slides out a gasket or seal or something gets misaligned preventing proper fluid flow or something which allows the motor to spin far faster than the pump. Thus, twisting and breaking the shaft. I did successfully repair the broken band on a second car without destroying the transmission. I was extremely careful on this one to make sure the stack did not slide out at all. I also bought a digital torque wrench and torqued the pump bolts corrects (I think it is 13nm) and turned the crank by hand to ensure the rod seats properly before starting the car. I also marked the pump alignment with a chalk pen before removing it so I could easily see proper alignment when putting it back on.

#12 ·
Ok my stack came out too and I twisted 2 shafts also I'm pretty sure it twisted the one that's in there now cause I got frustrated and gave up . So off to the junkyard I go . The last time I was extra careful and went slow even had someone hold the stack with a screw driver . I think your right about the seal cause I know when I put my stack back in it was engaging correctly . Also 1 more thing Everytime it twisted it was at start up . I hope this helps the next person . Do not let the stack move .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.