Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed a rumble/vibration over the last couple of days. 09 V6 AWD. Between 40-60mph, regardless of gear, inlcuding neutral. Had an identical problem with a 99 CRV and it was a U joint in the 4wd prop shaft. Honda was nice enough to make it so that the whole shaft had to be replaced, not just a joint. Nice of them.

Anyway, the Escape seems to be the same symptoms, feel the rumble in my bum :doh: No missing wheel weights, etc.

I thought it may be tires - it has been really cold here the past few days (thinking flat spots) but I drove over 100 highway km today and it did nothing to improve the vibration. It isn;t severe but it is there. One of those things that if I take it in, the work order will inevitably say "no fault found" or "operating normally" but I know it will get worse. I figure if I can point the tech in a possible direction it may reduce this.

I had thought about a tranny / torque converter issue but it is up to speed on programming and the rumble is there regardless of gear. The only thing that minimizes it is HARD acceleration in the 40-60mph range (2-3 gear kickdown, etc) which is why I am thinking U Joint (4wd may be engaging if I do this??) Again, my experience with this is a Honda CRV so I may not fully understand the FoMoCo awd system.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sounds like a u-joint to me as well. I hate to sound like a sells person but there is a guy in WA, who makes an incredible u-joint and it is used by many off-road racers in the states. PM if interested.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be if it wasn't still under warranty....thanks for the offer. I am thinking u joint too...just looking for alternate opinions. I'll drive it a couple more days and see if it gets worse. Pretty sudden onset really...surprising.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it's still under warranty, why not take it to where you bought it, get a service tech to take a ride with you so you can "show" him the problem. Wouldn't that be the way to find out? He's got to feel the same rumble that you do, right? I don't know.....that's what i would do.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
fotojack said:
If it's still under warranty, why not take it to where you bought it, get a service tech to take a ride with you so you can "show" him the problem. Wouldn't that be the way to find out? He's got to feel the same rumble that you do, right? I don't know.....that's what i would do.
+1000
Because...it could be a U-joint or something else that has loosened up and affects the shafts allignment- positioning.It is a 2009 car after all.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's going in Friday. That and the parking brake that seems to be sticking on now that the weather is cold...even though the brakes were serviced 2 weeks ago....service advisors hate the word "comeback" don't they?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a wobble at about 15-30kph recently. I realized it was the u-joints that were toast. If you're somewhat mechnically inclined it's a fairly easy job to to yourself or with a friend. The driveshaft is comprised of two seperate shafts. It's easy to disconnect the rear shaft, however the front shaft on my Escape wouldn't disconnect so I had to replace the u-joint while being under the vehicle. Not impossible, but awkward. I picked up a u-joint clamp from the store and it made the job a lot easier. Make sure you torque all the bolts down to their required specification when you're done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
melster said:
Hi sirs,

I just would like to ask what are the symptoms of damage u joint?

Thanks
A vibration at specific, identifiable and consistent speeds that you feel in your arse and sometimes in your feet on the floor as well. Speeds vary by situation but will be fairly consistent in your car (ie: if it does it at 30-40mph, it will always do it at that speed). You won't feel it in the steering wheel (front tire issue). It will also give a droan/low rumble vs rear tires which tend to shake instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts