Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought the escape, I've been getting this weird squeak noise (the closes thing I can compare it to is the sound of bad shocks) from the rear end when I go over a speed bump. I've taken it to the dealer twice now, but they insist that there's nothing wrong with the suspension. Has anyone experienced the same issue? any possible solutions??? thanks in advance. I drive the 2009 escape 2.5L

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
For me it was usually my mother in law. I'm not sure what your noise is....

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had the same problem on my 2008 ford escape is it a squeek when you hit a bump??? mines were accuring when i hit a bump on a very bumpy road while sitting on the back seat of the escape. Check your rear hatch the part thats on the lower latch that the hach latches to. Put a piece of electrical tape on it and that stop the squeeky noise associated with the car. hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
as stupid as this sounds i had a squeek coming from the rear when i went over speed bumps also and what it turned out to be was a piece of the heat shield i think it was had come loose and what it was stuck on when i went over speed bumps it was rubbing causing a squeeking noise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Alot of Escapes have a squeaky rear hatch. Mine does, the Escape cabs in NYC do, other forum members too. You should have heard the cab driver complain about it! He was hilarious.

I found one other thread on the forum that mentioned putting some electrical tape on the latch, but I have not had success with that. I've tried cleaning the hatch weather seal, with no success.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine made a loud chirp when driving over large bumps. I spent time pulling things out of the back and lubing things and it still made noise. Finally I laid in the cargo area and bounced up and down till the noise revealed itself. It was coming from the left shock tower where it mounts to the wheelwell. Part of the rubber bushing was missing allowing metal to metal contact. I replaced the bushing and added an extra collar around the shock stem; problem solved.
Months later I found a Ford TSB on line addressing this very problem.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had this problem and its exactly what you said. rear struts were rubbing against the mounting area. I tightened the nuts down with some added washers to add pressure to the bushings. On the driverside for me. Now today the passenger side is doing it. I guess ill just do the same thing. maybe get some new bushings.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ajc6882 said:
I had this problem and its exactly what you said. rear struts were rubbing against the mounting area. I tightened the nuts down with some added washers to add pressure to the bushings. On the driverside for me. Now today the passenger side is doing it. I guess ill just do the same thing. maybe get some new bushings.
When the lower and upper bushings are gone one may notice that the hole on the wheel wall where the shock rod goes through it has become bigger.That is another issue that one has to address while changing the bushings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts