Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
autoblog has posted an overview of the updated Navigation System that Ford will be offering in the 2009 model Escape/Mariner/Tribute. Check out the write-up & videos at:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/15/vide ... us-travel/

Ford demonstrates new nav system with Sirius Travel

One of the cool features that Ford is introducing for the 2009 model year is its updated navigation system with Sirius Travel Link. When we went out to drive the updated 2009 Ford Escape this week, Ford's chief technology spokes-model Alan Hall gave us a guided tour of the system. The next generation nav unit takes the traditional touch screen GPS unit and integrates it with the popular SYNC system that debuted last year, while adding real time downloadable information from Sirius and a 10GB jukebox. The Sirius system provides information such as live weather maps overlaid on the navigation data, current fuel prices, movie listings and more.

With the jukebox, you can insert an audio CD and automatically rip it to the internal hard drive like you can in the Cadillac CTS. The full Gracenote CDDB database is incorporated so that the meta-data can be automatically added. The screen can even display the album artwork. The system can even play DVDs with the video only being visible on the front seat screen when the car is in park. As soon as the transmission is shifted into gear, it only plays the audio track. If you pull up a restaurant listing, it can automatically dial your bluetooth phone through the SYNC system. Like SYNC, the whole system can be controlled by voice commands so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel. The new setup will be on most 2009 Fords, with bigger vehicles like the new Flex and the MKS getting an 8-inch touch screen while the smaller Escape makes do with a 6.5" inch screen. Ford will be charging $1,995 for the full system including SYNC, the nav system, Travel Link and the jukebox.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
IMHO (and I know I may get disagreements on this), that's a bargain for everything it does.

My factory nav system hasn't had any problems from day one, and all of this extra stuff is a quantum leap forward.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
That's a great system, but it kind of ticks me off because I've been asking Sirius for 2 years why they haven't offered GPS with their systems. Now, I just got a new Garmin and so natch Sirius offers this. :cuss:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I like it. For the money I agree with JP. You are getting a good bang for the buck there. :thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the 2nd Gen Navigation system in my 09 Escape Hybrid and I have to say it is one of the coolest features ever. When you combine navigation with Sirius travel link and Sync it is perfect. I love the ability to check the forecast & radar maps, sports scores, gas prices and movie times. I think that the screen is 7" but I haven't actually measured it. If anyone is on the fence for ordering the Nav, I say absolutely get it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That's what I thought about navigation in my Edge, but it has no Sync or Travel Link (not available back then). Two model years makes a huge difference!

Can you take some pictures of it?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
This is a navigation system for the Toyota SR5 dual cab. I have decided on the ' Follow me' Tom Tom in car navigation. It won't have all the bells and whistles of other models, but at least there will be no unsightly ciggy lighter plug power lead draped down the dash facia. :)

Actually there is a feature i like about the ' follow me' tom tom. I can detach it from the radio and use it portable. Apparently " TOM TOM " designed this gps model in liason with toyota, so that it could be used in the Hilux cabin combined with the car factory radio/ cd player.

The photo here is displaying the more expensive gps with a large screen. This model is the one where a button is pressed ,and the gps screen slides out into position. Anyway the cheaper ' Follow me' Tom Tom in car navigation for the hilux dual cab, has a smaller screen.

The advantages i like about in car navigation are 1: No power plug lead dangling anywhere 2: It looks quite neat and snazzy combined with the car hi-fi audio system. 3: No more having to set up a dash board mount, or the window mount.

Have noticed a lot of sth. aussies are using the window mount device. I used to have a window mount for my garmin quest, in the previous falcon sedan. Every few days it would lose grip and come off. Very annoying having to resecure the mount and set up the viewing angle. Simple enough procedure but irksome.

This is why i reckon in car navigation combined with car hi-fi is the bees knees. Basically this picture shows how my toyota in car gps will be positioned. :)

Once i get used to it my reaction will be HOORAY! :yahoo: :woohoo: No power lead appearing unsightly, and the premium bonus will be ,the cumbersome securing of window mount gps bracket is eliminated.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
This is the ' Follow Me' Tom - Tom in car navigation system for the toyota hilux dual cab ute. :topic: :bang: My sincere apology for going off topic here. Basically if things progress smooth enough, this is the gps system i will choose for the Toyota hilux SR5 turbo diesel dual cab ute.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I like the idea of a built in as well as anyone. This looks like a really neat unit too! :thumb:

I don't like the fact that the thieves are ruining it for people that need or like one of these devices. We have had a rash of car breakins and theft of the built in GPS units. And they destroy the dash in the process, nevermind the window and maybe a door panel or two. Why? Why? Why? :rant:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts