Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd get back to JS. 14.8 is above what I consider to be safe for the battery. If you're using an accurate meter, I'd prefer to have it run below 14.5.

As far as the light, you could build a small differential circuit and have it trip the light at whatever over/under voltage you want, but the PCM commands the alternator to charge in these Escapes, so sometimes it's turned down or even off under certain circumstances. If the JS alternator wiring is still under control of the PCM, you will probably get a random flashing light anyway.

John

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't know who told you that kind of system needs that kind of juice…
As a guy who has always run stock audio systems in every car I ever had (other than hanging 8-tracks under dashes in the 70s), I have been amazed at what I hear from cars barely in sight and suspect that the guys who have car stereos that can be heard clearly 1/4 mile away must be drawing ridiculous power from the charging system. Changing audio signals into audible power is very inefficient.

I guess the OP is running such an audio system.

John

·
Registered
950 Posts
I’ve got a decent stereo installed and initially that was the whole reason for me seeking out more juice from the electrical system. First step was adding a 3.5F capacitor which didn’t help much for the headlights dimming with each heavy drum kick. After that was the alternator upgrade and surprise surprise, I went with the cheapest option. Don’t buy JS alternators, go with a better brand. There ARE options which come plug-n-play but I found that out too late. JS is about useless when it comes to customer support. Yes they helped get it wired but took a ton of back and forth emails. Anywho, the battery receives 14.8 regardless of idle or on throttle and I suspect I am due for a battery replacement/upgrade. That was JS’s solution to the battery issue but I suppose they’re right about needing a new one. Before I spend $300 for an Optima or $400 on an XS battery, I want to make sure the same won’t happen to it!
A new high CCA battery will lower the impedance of the 12V supply and mitigate any instantaneous sagging from bass kicks.

I still think 14.8 is too high and think any battery charged at that rate will suffer from some heat and outgassing. OTOH, if that's what these competition car audio guys are running then that must be part of the solution for the "performance".

Honestly, maybe some advice from competition car audio groups instead of Escape specific advice might be a better option at this point.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts