Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’ve got an 05 Escape 3.0 with a decent enough stereo so I’ve replaced the factory alternator with a JS-Alternators 240 amp unit. The wiring is not plug-n-play so cutting the connector off and wiring in the alt was needed. I get 14.8 volts whether att idle or cruising which is great! Not so great is the constant on dash battery light (JS said this is normal and won’t affect anything other than being annoying) but, I’m concerned how my battery has acid spilling out the side from the top-off plates. Factory is a 4 wire connector but the install only has me using “
You will need to connect the S wire(red wire) on the pigtail to the positive post on the alternator.
The L wire(blue wire) to the LI wire on your factory wiring.
No other wires are used.”
Any thoughts on regulating the voltage and/or what wire(s) to connect to make the computer know I’m charging correctly and the dash light go off?
Product Rectangle Slope Font Schematic

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve got a decent stereo installed and initially that was the whole reason for me seeking out more juice from the electrical system. First step was adding a 3.5F capacitor which didn’t help much for the headlights dimming with each heavy drum kick. After that was the alternator upgrade and surprise surprise, I went with the cheapest option. Don’t buy JS alternators, go with a better brand. There ARE options which come plug-n-play but I found that out too late. JS is about useless when it comes to customer support. Yes they helped get it wired but took a ton of back and forth emails. Anywho, the battery receives 14.8 regardless of idle or on throttle and I suspect I am due for a battery replacement/upgrade. That was JS’s solution to the battery issue but I suppose they’re right about needing a new one. Before I spend $300 for an Optima or $400 on an XS battery, I want to make sure the same won’t happen to it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts