Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a couple of months with the plastic / rubber steering wheel that comes on the base model XLT I figured it was time to upgrade to a leather wheel. I braced myself for the phone call to my local Ford dealership parts department, but was pleasantly surprised by the price of the new leather piece. After the parts person sifted through the possible 14 steering wheel combinations (different control buttons, colors, grip surface, and a vin split, etc.) he was able to find a black leather wheel with only the cruise control buttons. Pricing was very fair compared to what I was expecting ($269.00 + taxes).

Installation only took 10 minutes with the aid of some instructions supplied by my parts person. While changing a steering wheel may seem trivial to some, it makes a world of difference in driving comfort especially since it is something you use every time you drive your car.

Here is a photo of the finished project...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
good idea!! its a well thought out stock upgrade!! no one will ever notice, which makes it an even better upgrade !! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its the little subtleties ?word, that maybe you enjoy your car more and more.

I just got off the phone with the local crooks/dealer, regarding a cargo cover. $156, that is freaking outrageous. I was expecting like $75-100.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Jeff M said:

I just got off the phone with the local crooks/dealer, regarding a cargo cover. $156, that is freaking outrageous. I was expecting like $75-100.
Check ebay. An 05-07 version will also fit (maybe even all?). I kept my 07 cover to use with my 08. The tan doesn't match the stone exactly, but it looks OK -- and serves it's purpose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff M said:

Hello Jeff,

Oh yeah, its the small things that sometimes make the biggest difference.

The cargo cover is a great feature to have just for privacy especially if you do not have tinted windows. The good news is that the cargo covers are not as spendy as the ones in an Audi A4 wagon like I used to have. The replacement cover for the Audi is $950 CDN dollars (the only reason I know this is because my boss had a can of paint explode in his trunk and he needed a replacement). Maybe you will be able to find a second hand cover for a more reasonable price.

Take care,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There,
I was interested in switching out my steering wheel with one with leather wrap and audio control, as the one I have today does not have audio buttons. I went to my local Ford parts shop and there are about 14 different steering wheels available. The Ford guy suggested I find a car that has the wheel I want already , bring him the VIN and he could find the part. I did that, but unfortunately I got a VIN from a 2010 3.0L and I have a 2009 2.3L - apparently, per this forum, they dont match but from what we could tell, there wasnt any difference in the descriptions for the steering wheels as listed on the parts list. Does anyone have any further insight on this?

I have a `09 Escape XLS 2.3L with Stone interior, and I wanted a leather wrapped steering wheel in stone that adds the Vol+ Vol- Seek + Seek- Media buttons.

Thanks for the help,
Pat

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW i've been looking to upgrade my wheel as well but but i want the one with cruise controls and audio controls.

do you happen to remember how much it was?

)) i also drive manual and it sucks they don't come with cruise and audio controls

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yanith said:
WOW i've been looking to upgrade my wheel as well but but i want the one with cruise controls and audio controls.

do you happen to remember how much it was?

)) i also drive manual and it sucks they don't come with cruise and audio controls
Hello,

The steering wheel was just over $200.00 Canadian, but I am unsure if you will need to do additional wiring to make the cruise control and audio controls function in your Escape.

Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok sorry to dig up a really old thread here, but I have a couple dumb questions about this, not having taken a wheel off...

1. Is the steering wheel keyed, splined or somehow fixed in it's orientation on the actual steering shaft? Curious mostly about putting it back on straight

2. Do you need to clear any airbag codes if the battery was disconnected during the swap?

·
Registered
8 Posts
EscapeFromLA said:
Ok sorry to dig up a really old thread here, but I have a couple dumb questions about this, not having taken a wheel off...

1. Is the steering wheel keyed, splined or somehow fixed in it's orientation on the actual steering shaft? Curious mostly about putting it back on straight

2. Do you need to clear any airbag codes if the battery was disconnected during the swap?
1. The steering wheel is not marked for top dead center. Do do this swap, make sure your wheels are straight, and your old sterring wheel is 100% straight and then remove it. Put the new one back on in the same position. You can always use a maker to make the top center point and ensure that it is still sitting top center when you go to put you new wheel on. Sometimes the wheel moves a little during removal due to the yanking on it that some people do. :)

2. I don't know and was wondering this also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have another question about this. I have a 2012 XLS without Sync. My wheel only has the cruise control buttons. Were I to buy a leather wheel with the media buttons on the right side, would/could they work?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
raysfan said:
Wow, I did not know a manual transmission was available in any second generation (2008-2012) Escape.
It was but only on the base model and in FWD only

1 - 17 of 17 Posts