Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the factory 235/70/16 Goodyears on aluminum rims on my Escape still, and they're getting a little slippery in the rain and I've started looking at new tires. I'm considering keeping the stock rims and putting a slighty wider tire on there. I remember hearing the rim can handle a 255 width but I'm not sure what the sidewall would be? 60? I'd like to stay near the factory overall height. If anyone knows thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I would check with Tire Rack or even Discount Tire online. Both of them have a chart someplace on their respective sites that can get you where you want to go on sizes without getting into trouble. Also, you could just call the store and the associate can look it up for you if you would rather do that. I wasn't a fan of either, but my last set of Bullitt tires I got from Discount Tire and they really gave me great service. Or mislead me. I also eventually getting a better deal than online as they had a sale or promotion going on for Kumho tires. It was like getting one tire plus all the mounting, balancing, warranty and all for free compared to the online site!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't find anything on Tirerack.com but the guy at the friendly local Pep Boys had a big shiny Book of Rims and Upsizing, he said up to 255/65/16 is cool on the rim. :)P

After looking at a few local shops with bland looking highway tires, I ordered some summer street tires off the Rack, General Grabber UHP in the 255/65 size. They were the 2nd highest rated street tire, with outstanding wet/dry traction (good for Florida). They probebly won't last long but should be fun while they're on! :yahoo:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ajax said:
I couldn't find anything on Tirerack.com but the guy at the friendly local Pep Boys had a big shiny Book of Rims and Upsizing, he said up to 255/65/16 is cool on the rim. :)P
The Pep Boys around here (i.m.o.) aren't all that swift. But, I think they nailed this one. Here is a calculator for your speedometer. You may have to scroll down a bit. Tire/Speedometer calculator
HERE

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, looks like the speedo error will be negligable (70.24 mph at indicated 70 lol) and I shouldn't have any rubbing problems. I remember from our old sight someone saying they popped these on the factory rims and had no problems. Tire rack called me today to confirm that I wasn't buying stock sizes, that they will fit the factory 7" wide rim no problem, and also recommended to check them while the vehicle is on the lift for clearance etc.

Since I'm keeping the vehicle now instead of selling it (the terrible economy will not support selling my Escape for anything close to what I owe on it) I might as well go back to modding it. I'm considering lowering it too but not sure how the wider tires will like that.... :worry:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I am not sure the wider tires will like it, but I don't believe that a credible mod kit will make it so bad that you couldn't drive the thing with the slightly wider tires.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Ajax said:
Cool, looks like the speedo error will be negligable (70.24 mph at indicated 70 lol) and I shouldn't have any rubbing problems. I remember from our old sight someone saying they popped these on the factory rims and had no problems. Tire rack called me today to confirm that I wasn't buying stock sizes, that they will fit the factory 7" wide rim no problem, and also recommended to check them while the vehicle is on the lift for clearance etc.

Since I'm keeping the vehicle now instead of selling it (the terrible economy will not support selling my Escape for anything close to what I owe on it) I might as well go back to modding it. I'm considering lowering it too but not sure how the wider tires will like that.... :worry:
You aren't getting your grill back :hyst:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
And we do like that grill Scott... :hyst:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol I'm glad you're enjoying it Scott. It's time to look forward, not back, to newer and more exciting mods.... :play:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Dude I love it thanks so much for the great mod!! It really sets off my black Escape a lot!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well they were delivered Mon and mounted soon after. No good pic yet (too rainy and dirty) but they look good, add just a bit of width and they look interesting, street pattern but definitely a truck tire (tall sidewall etc.) They also ride alot quieter than the factory Goodyears. No test of grip yet really, just went for a leisurely drive last night. I'll test them soon though!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Where's this picture at??

I know I know bringing back the dead but I am looking into possibly lifting my Escape now and this thread popped up in the search :)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never did take any pics, I will when it warms up and I can clean the Escape up.

I haven't had any problems at all with the wider tire, rubbing or otherwise. I think it looks better on there too. I do love the Grabber UHPs too, the wet traction is a HUGE improvement for me and I'd recommend them to anyone for summer or (southern climate) all year tires.

A lift eh? I didn't see that coming with your truck Scott.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Me either...It's still on the drawing board as to if it is something that I can do or not...don't know yet.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*sigh* I finally took pictures of my "new" tires and Photobucket goes down, I can't log in.

Check back tomorrow and I'll have some pics for ya Scottie!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok here they are, General Grabber UHPs, size 255/70R16 on factory rims:

·
Registered
446 Posts
those are 255/65R16, not the 70 series...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you pupster, I forgot they were 255/65. Same rolling diameter as the 235/70 so no errors or needed corrections to the speedo.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Any idea on the increase in width? If, when I replace the Conticraps I was thinking of an increase in tire size. You've got my interest. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts