Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purhcased a used vehicle back in Oct of 09. Yesterday I got a message that said service brake system. I took it in the the guy called me back and said it was some special grease that needed to be applied. This was after the ABS test was done on the brakes. Is this something that should have been applied to the vehicle prior to purchasing it or would this be the cause of just normal wear and tear. We have had the vehicle for about 10,000 miles and purchases a warranty. This grease is not covered under warranty. The cost is around 300.00 for the grease to be applied. Is this something that should have be done prior to purchasing the vehicle or is this just a normal wear and tear item I will have to eat the cost?

Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe you are not getting to many responses because no one knows how to reply to this. If someone is going to charge you $300 to grease your brakes, I would question their integrity. They do make "caliper grease" it is simply a silicone based grease that can be applied to the caliper slides. You can buy a tube of it at an auto parts store $0.99, it is probably enough to do 2 or 3 vehicles. I highly doubt that you would get and service warning for this.

I would tell the shop you would like to get another estimate and take it somewhere else. At that price it may be worth it to take it to a dealer and have them give you an estimate. Do not tell them about what the other shop said. If they give you the same line. Please repost with more detail on what they are refering to.

It is possible their was some miscommunication between you and the shop so i can only go off what you are telling me.

DO NOT apply grease or any other petroleum based product on the brake surface.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was at the dealership. It is some type of special grease and it is 3 different types. They are 30.00 a piece. The abs system has to be taken part and this grease has to be put on the 3 different circuits. So we shall see.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still would have taken it to a different dealership for another estimate.

Our explorer was at the dealer the other day for a shift interlock service replacement. They called me and told me the cowl was plugged and for $35 they would clean it out. I told him it requires about 5 minutes to do the job. you simply pop the hood remove 2 screws and lift the cowl cover. Then shove a shop vac in there. Then simply replace the 2 screws and close the hood. I am perfectly capable of handling that in the spring.

Then he replies for $95 we will tell you why the check engine light is on. I told him it I already diagnosed the problem and that the evap purge vent is intermittenly not functioning. I would repair it in the spring because it is not hampering the function of the vehicle. He begins to try and tell he how it is hurting my gas mileage and rambling.

So, my point is that a lot of these dealers are hurting for money right now and they will do just about anything to try and get you to spend money there. I also believe that if you bought a warranty from the Ford dealer anything that is not a maintenance item should be covered. Unless you bought a powertrain warranty only.

I'm curious about this issue so please let us know what happens. When you get the vehicle from the dealer they should give you a repair report. I'd like to know what is on it.

What is your vehicle configuration. Just noticed 2005 hybrid. Is it 4x2 or 4x4
I can't find a tsb on this. I need to know what the DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes)were to look this up

·
Registered
82 Posts
1) Sounds like you are trying to make it out to be the previous owner's fault that the ABS light just came on your USED vehicle you purchased from nearly 5 months and 10k miles ago. Just give it up. It's not the previous owner's fault in any way. It's not a normal wear thing, and even if it was, there is no way you could hold the previous owner responsible for it after the fact like that.

2) That dealer is taking you for a ride. There is not some uber rare high dollar magic grease cure all brake grease that needs to be applied periodicly to keep the light from coming on. Yes there may be some grease involved in some ABS components. No, its nothing that needs to periodicly has to be changed or replaced at regular intervals. No, it would not be some rare super expensive special grease and they are just marking up the shiat out of it for you. And last of all, if something in the ABS is tripping the light, just trying to slap on some grease somewhere is very very likely just going to be some bandaid fix if it even works, and will likely be back in the not so distant future.

You never said what vehicle exactly you are dealing with, but I will assume an 05 by your name. I havent had to mess with ABS on an escape before, but short of having long time shot pads/shoes and/or chewed up rotors/drums and can be linked to damaging ABS components, it is nothing wear and tear or wear item that would throw a light. Either you have some 3rd party warranty they dont want to deal with and are grasping straws to avoid, or that dealer is really trying to bend you over. I cant think of anywhere where anything grease related would affect anything with ABS. Only spot that is typical is some dialectric grease (which is nothing uncommon or expensive) on the tip of the wheel sensors, but that alone shouldnt throw a light. My guess since I am not looking at it myself would be either the alignment of a wheel sensor got out of whack, caked up from brake dust and metal dust from the rotor, or simply failed. Either case, it should not be a normal wear condition warranty wont cover. Even if they can pull it, clean it up, and install it again, they should still be treating it as a failed sensor as far as the warranty goes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just asking about the prior owner if this is something that should have been done. I did not say it was their fault but just asking. This is the 3rd dealership I took it to yesterday that told me the same thing. So I guess all the dealerships around me are lying.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I can see where the slider needs the grease. I can even acknowledge the fact that there are connectors on the electronics that require dielectric grease. But was unaware of a third type of grease.

The caliper slider needs to be greased once every time the brakes are serviced. Like posted above, that's worth $.99 at the parts store. You want someone to put it on for you that's an additional hour of labor. The dielectric grease is applied when things are installed new and doesn't need redoing unless the system is dismantled, at least to my knowledge. Maybe it's needs it when servicing the brakes as well. The third grease? :confused: :shrug: Wheel bearings on the front end? :shrug:

Three dealerships? Hmmm.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TopElimn8r said:
I still would have taken it to a different dealership for another estimate.

Our explorer was at the dealer the other day for a shift interlock service replacement. They called me and told me the cowl was plugged and for $35 they would clean it out. I told him it requires about 5 minutes to do the job. you simply pop the hood remove 2 screws and lift the cowl cover. Then shove a shop vac in there. Then simply replace the 2 screws and close the hood. I am perfectly capable of handling that in the spring.

Then he replies for $95 we will tell you why the check engine light is on. I told him it I already diagnosed the problem and that the evap purge vent is intermittenly not functioning. I would repair it in the spring because it is not hampering the function of the vehicle. He begins to try and tell he how it is hurting my gas mileage and rambling.

So, my point is that a lot of these dealers are hurting for money right now and they will do just about anything to try and get you to spend money there. I also believe that if you bought a warranty from the Ford dealer anything that is not a maintenance item should be covered. Unless you bought a powertrain warranty only.

I'm curious about this issue so please let us know what happens. When you get the vehicle from the dealer they should give you a repair report. I'd like to know what is on it.

What is your vehicle configuration. Just noticed 2005 hybrid. Is it 4x2 or 4x4
I can't find a tsb on this. I need to know what the DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes)were to look this up
FWD

The DTC is 1475

They greased the HPA connector and retested HCU and all tested out fine.

Lubricant UN 2649 P/N: 6u7z8042a

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use some grease at work that is for high temp (200c +) temps. This stuff is over $700/tube (toothpaste size tube).
I can't see ford using anything like this in their ABS system though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
davids2005 said:
The DTC is 1475
DTC 1475, you say.

Here you go:

Squishy said:
(click on thumbnails to enlarge)

TSB 06-22-1

11/13/06

ABS LIGHT ON AND DTC C1475 - HYBRID VEHICLES
BUILT FROM 8/2/2004 - 3/30/2006.

FORD:
2005-2006 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006 Mariner Hybrid

This article supersedes TSB 06-10-14 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2005-2006 Escape Hybrid and 2006 Mariner Hybrid vehicles built from 8/2/2004 to 3/30/2006 may exhibit an amber ABS light with a red brake light and an accompanying diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1475. When this code is set the hydraulic pump motor will run any time the brakes are applied, so brake assist is maintained. Some customers may report an audible noise from the pump motor when brakes are applied.

ACTION
Use the following Service Procedure to retrieve subfault data to determine if the hydraulic control unit (HCU) needs to be replaced, or if the HCU can be reprogrammed instead. If the HCU is reprogrammed, it will also be necessary to add grease to the high pressure accumulator (HPA) connector terminals.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE
DO NOT CLEAR CODES DURING DTC RETRIEVAL.

1. Run ABS module self test using IDS release B45.3 and higher. Do not clear DTCs.

2. If DTC C1475 is NOT present, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-06, Hydraulic Brake Actuation, of the appropriate year Workshop Manual. No further actions are required from this TSB.

3. If a DTC C1475 is present, using IDS, a question mark (?) will be displayed next to the DTC (Figure 1). Follow the screen prompts to retrieve the data stored in EEPROM Location Ox6B (Figure 2). Write down value stored at EEPROM Location Ox6B. The bitmap displayed below the line which includes the Ox6B and subfault can be ignored.

4. If DTC list includes other DTCs in addition to the C1475, all Non-C1475 DTCs should be diagnosed first.
a. If pinpoint tests for other DTCs lead to replacement of the HCU replace HCU per procedure in WSM, Section 206-09, and continue with normal diagnosis as needed. No further actions are required from this TSB.
NOTE
THE REPLACEMENT HCU AVAILABLE FROM SERVICE WILL ALREADY CONTAIN THE LATEST SOFTWARE UPDATES, AND WILL ALREADY HAVE GREASE IN THE HPA CONNECTOR TERMINALS.
b. If C1475 is the only DTC present, or the pinpoint test for the other DTCs did not lead to HCU replacement, then repair any faults identified by the pinpoint test for the other DTCs and proceed to Step 5.

5. Analyze the BSCM C1475 EEPROM information.
a. If EEPROM Ox6B = "Ox10" or "Ox11", then proceed to TSB service procedure for adding grease to HPA connector and reprogramming the ABS module.
b. If EEPROM Ox6B is equal to any other value and DTC C1475 is present, replace the HCU per procedure in WSM, Section 206-09. No further actions are required from this TSB.

PROCEDURE TO ADD GREASE TO THE HPA CONNECTOR
NOTE
INDIVIDUAL GREASE PIPETTES, PROVIDE A MEASURED QUANTITY OF GREASE FOR EACH TERMINAL AND SHOULD BE USED FOR THIS REPAIR, ONE (1) FOR EACH TERMINAL, A TOTAL OF THREE (3) FOR EACH CONNECTOR. THE USE OF TOO MUCH GREASE MAY PREVENT THE CONNECTOR FROM SEATING FULLY WHEN RECONNECTING.

1. After parking vehicle in repair bay and opening the hood, wait at least 5 minutes or until you hear the electro hydraulic brake (EHB) system shut down completely (ignition switch off) before beginning repairs.

2. Disconnect 12 volt battery.

3. Remove the 47-way EHB system connector from the HCU, by pushing the locking mechanism and pulling the lever/cover up. Move the connector back and out of the way.

4. Remove the 4-way high pressure accumulator (HPA) connector, (located directly below the 47 way connector you disconnected in step 3), from the HCU by pushing the connector slightly forward to the ECU, releasing the locking mechanism underneath on the bottom side and pulling the connector backwards. Do not disconnect or attempt to add grease to the connector on the accumulator canister.

5. Carefully position the HPA connector upwards so you can look into the terminals of the connector. One of the four possible pin locations is empty. Only add grease to those locations which contain terminals, Pin locations 1, 3, and 4.

6. Remove cap from grease pipette (tube) and squeeze the contents of the tube into one of the three (3) terminals (1, 3, or 4); use one (1) pipette (tube) for each terminal. All three (3) terminals need to be greased.
NOTE
THE GREASE MUST BE INJECTED INTO THE FEMALE TERMINAL ENDS AND NOT SIMPLY SMEARED AROUND THE CONNECTOR FACES. TAKE CARE NOT TO SPREAD THE FEMALE TERMINAL ENDS WITH THE PIPETTE TUBE. (FIGURE 3)

7. Push the 4-way HPA connector back onto the ECU and make sure that the locking mechanism closes properly (audible click).

8. Install the 47-way connector back onto the ECU and make sure that the locking mechanism closes properly (audible click).

9. Reconnect the 12 volt battery.

10. Turn on the ignition then step on the brake pedal once and release it all the way to calibrate the brake pedal travel sensor. This step is required any time the 12 volt battery is disconnected for any reason.

11. Clear DTCs. This will eliminate DTCs set during the Grease Procedure.

PROCEDURE TO REPROGRAM THE ABS MODULE
1. Reprogram the ABS module to the latest calibration using IDS release IDS 45.3 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2006.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Choose "ABS module" from the menu.
NOTE
THE RED BRAKE LIGHT WILL BE ILLUMINATED AND DTCS C1525 AND C1473 WILL BE SET AFTER REPROGRAMMING HAS COMPLETED.

2. After completion of reprogramming procedure, run an "Air Bleed Check" followed by an "ACU Bleed Check' to complete the repair and clear the DTCs C1525 and C1473.

Parts Block
PART NUMBER
PART NAME
7M6Z-2C286-BHCU
6U7Z-8042-AGrease
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
062201A2005-2006 Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Add Grease To The ABS Module Connector, And Reprogram The ABS Module (Do Not Use With 2219D, 2219D11, 12651D, 12651D4)
0.7 Hr.​
062201B2005-2006 Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes, And Replace HCU, Bleed Brakes, (Module Configuration Not Required) (Do Not Use With 2219D, 2219D11, 12651D, 12651D4)
2.1 HrS.​
MT062201Claim Additional Labor Required As Actual Time Or Use SLTS Operation If Available
Actual Time​
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.
CONDITION CODE
2C286
04​

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well i guess i learned something new. I was going in the wrong direction trying to figure out where they were going to grease the mechanicals of the brake system. I have never worked on a hybrid so i'm completely unfamiliar with them. I still think the $300 is a bit pricey for what they did.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
prowler said:
davids2005 said:
The DTC is 1475
DTC 1475, you say.

Here you go:

Squishy said:

TSB 06-22-1

11/13/06

FORD:
2005-2006 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006 Mariner Hybrid

ISSUE
Some 2005-2006 Escape Hybrid and 2006 Mariner Hybrid vehicles built from 8/2/2004 to 3/30/2006 may exhibit an amber ABS light with a red brake light and an accompanying diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1475. When this code is set the hydraulic pump motor will run any time the brakes are applied, so brake assist is maintained. Some customers may report an audible noise from the pump motor when brakes are applied.

ACTION
Use the following Service Procedure to retrieve subfault data to determine if the hydraulic control unit (HCU) needs to be replaced, or if the HCU can be reprogrammed instead. If the HCU is reprogrammed, it will also be necessary to add grease to the high pressure accumulator (HPA) connector terminals.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE

1. Run ABS module self test using IDS release B45.3 and higher. Do not clear DTCs.

2. If DTC C1475 is NOT present, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-06, Hydraulic Brake Actuation, of the appropriate year Workshop Manual. No further actions are required from this TSB.

3. If a DTC C1475 is present, using IDS, a question mark (?) will be displayed next to the DTC (Figure 1). Follow the screen prompts to retrieve the data stored in EEPROM Location Ox6B (Figure 2). Write down value stored at EEPROM Location Ox6B. The bitmap displayed below the line which includes the Ox6B and subfault can be ignored.

4. If DTC list includes other DTCs in addition to the C1475, all Non-C1475 DTCs should be diagnosed first.
a. If pinpoint tests for other DTCs lead to replacement of the HCU replace HCU per procedure in WSM, Section 206-09, and continue with normal diagnosis as needed. No further actions are required from this TSB.
NOTE
THE REPLACEMENT HCU AVAILABLE FROM SERVICE WILL ALREADY CONTAIN THE LATEST SOFTWARE UPDATES, AND WILL ALREADY HAVE GREASE IN THE HPA CONNECTOR TERMINALS.
b. If C1475 is the only DTC present, or the pinpoint test for the other DTCs did not lead to HCU replacement, then repair any faults identified by the pinpoint test for the other DTCs and proceed to Step 5.

a. If EEPROM Ox6B = "Ox10" or "Ox11", then proceed to TSB service procedure for adding grease to HPA connector and reprogramming the ABS module.
b. If EEPROM Ox6B is equal to any other value and DTC C1475 is present, replace the HCU per procedure in WSM, Section 206-09. No further actions are required from this TSB.

NOTE
INDIVIDUAL GREASE PIPETTES, PROVIDE A MEASURED QUANTITY OF GREASE FOR EACH TERMINAL AND SHOULD BE USED FOR THIS REPAIR, ONE (1) FOR EACH TERMINAL, A TOTAL OF THREE (3) FOR EACH CONNECTOR. THE USE OF TOO MUCH GREASE MAY PREVENT THE CONNECTOR FROM SEATING FULLY WHEN RECONNECTING.

1. After parking vehicle in repair bay and opening the hood, wait at least 5 minutes or until you hear the electro hydraulic brake (EHB) system shut down completely (ignition switch off) before beginning repairs.

3. Remove the 47-way EHB system connector from the HCU, by pushing the locking mechanism and pulling the lever/cover up. Move the connector back and out of the way.

4. Remove the 4-way high pressure accumulator (HPA) connector, (located directly below the 47 way connector you disconnected in step 3), from the HCU by pushing the connector slightly forward to the ECU, releasing the locking mechanism underneath on the bottom side and pulling the connector backwards. Do not disconnect or attempt to add grease to the connector on the accumulator canister.

5. Carefully position the HPA connector upwards so you can look into the terminals of the connector. One of the four possible pin locations is empty. Only add grease to those locations which contain terminals, Pin locations 1, 3, and 4.

6. Remove cap from grease pipette (tube) and squeeze the contents of the tube into one of the three (3) terminals (1, 3, or 4); use one (1) pipette (tube) for each terminal. All three (3) terminals need to be greased.
NOTE
THE GREASE MUST BE INJECTED INTO THE FEMALE TERMINAL ENDS AND NOT SIMPLY SMEARED AROUND THE CONNECTOR FACES. TAKE CARE NOT TO SPREAD THE FEMALE TERMINAL ENDS WITH THE PIPETTE TUBE. (FIGURE 3)

7. Push the 4-way HPA connector back onto the ECU and make sure that the locking mechanism closes properly (audible click).

8. Install the 47-way connector back onto the ECU and make sure that the locking mechanism closes properly (audible click).

10. Turn on the ignition then step on the brake pedal once and release it all the way to calibrate the brake pedal travel sensor. This step is required any time the 12 volt battery is disconnected for any reason.

1. Reprogram the ABS module to the latest calibration using IDS release IDS 45.3 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2006.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Choose "ABS module" from the menu.
NOTE
THE RED BRAKE LIGHT WILL BE ILLUMINATED AND DTCS C1525 AND C1473 WILL BE SET AFTER REPROGRAMMING HAS COMPLETED.

2. After completion of reprogramming procedure, run an "Air Bleed Check" followed by an "ACU Bleed Check' to complete the repair and clear the DTCs C1525 and C1473.

Parts Block
PART NUMBER
PART NAME
7M6Z-2C286-BHCU
6U7Z-8042-AGrease
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
062201A2005-2006 Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Add Grease To The ABS Module Connector, And Reprogram The ABS Module (Do Not Use With 2219D, 2219D11, 12651D, 12651D4)
0.7 Hr.​
062201B2005-2006 Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes, And Replace HCU, Bleed Brakes, (Module Configuration Not Required) (Do Not Use With 2219D, 2219D11, 12651D, 12651D4)
2.1 HrS.​
MT062201Claim Additional Labor Required As Actual Time Or Use SLTS Operation If Available
Actual Time​
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.
CONDITION CODE
2C286
04​
Sounds like mostly labor cost

I better say thanks before someone has a hissy fit for me not saying thanks.

Thanks for that info and I hope fome of you learned something from this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
davids2005 said:
prowler said:
davids2005 said:
The DTC is 1475
DTC 1475, you say.

Here you go:

Squishy said:

TSB 06-22-1

11/13/06

FORD:
2005-2006 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006 Mariner Hybrid

ISSUE

ACTION

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE

NOTE

NOTE

NOTE

NOTE

Parts Block
PART NUMBER
PART NAME
7M6Z-2C286-BHCU
6U7Z-8042-AGrease

OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
0.7 Hr.​
2.1 HrS.​
Actual Time​
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.
CONDITION CODE
2C286
04​
I better say thanks before someone has a hissy fit for me not saying thanks.

Thanks for that info and I hope fome of you learned something from this.[/quo

Edit see weebee for questions

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
What a mature response for all that info that Prowler gave you.

Please Mods, can we do something about this (quote JP) Troll, before it gets out of hand, viz Colleens Google search result..............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.