Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience of running their escapes on ethanol?
I had been successful in blending approx. 40 % ethanol, more cause the
engine check to lit, adding more gas fix this.

Fuel consumption increase with ethanol, but with the gas prices
in Europe/Scandinavia there is some to gain by mixing ethanol w. gas.

Ethanol also cleans out dirt if present in the fuel, engine system. Some had
to change clogged fuel filter after start mixing

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Ethanol is is all that is available around here. The pumps say it may contain ethanol. What they should really post is that it does contain ethanol.

I prefer to not have ethanol in the gas. It does cause a hit on the mpg. Our ethanol is made from corn, and the yeild is about an even break. So I question the value to the expercise. If your not going to benefit, why bother?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You may not want to go too high as ethanol can degrade some fuel system components that weren't designed for it. The "safe" level here is 10%, but there is a safety margin to that. I would guess no more than 20% ethanol in a conventional fuel system.

Ever gotten brake cleaner on plastic pieces? Similar bad mojo happens.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Squishy said:
You may not want to go too high as ethanol can degrade some fuel system components that weren't designed for it. The "safe" level here is 10%, but there is a safety margin to that. I would guess no more than 20% ethanol in a conventional fuel system.

Ever gotten brake cleaner on plastic pieces? Similar bad mojo happens.
haha, i hit a plastic measuring cup with brake cleaner once to clean it out. bad idea. turned it white HAHAHa couldnt read it afterwards. i now have a glass one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I prefer to not have ethanol in the gas.
I agree, the whole may contain thing doesn't sit well with me either. I wish they had stations where for the extra few cents, you could pay for straight gasoline, instead of the 10% ethanol frufru

·
Registered
322 Posts
gmercedesbenz said:
jonas1022 said:
I prefer to not have ethanol in the gas.
I agree, the whole may contain thing doesn't sit well with me either. I wish they had stations where for the extra few cents, you could pay for straight gasoline, instead of the 10% ethanol frufru
Lucky here in OK the state passed a law last year that stations had to mark their pumps. We still have a choice, for now at least! As for price, just like stations everywere prices vary, but I find E0 for the same, usualy less, than stations selling E10.
Personally my FEH dropped about 10-12% mpg (2-4mpg) when running E10 (prior to the law when stations had e10 unmarked)

I also read an article in my Hagarety (Classic Auto Insurance magazine) about a study someplace did on the effects of e10 on carb engines. Basicly they said short term, no ill effects, long term, possible side effects.

I also read online somewhere, that at least our Escapes, and most/all modern cars can handle up to E10 and some cars to E15 (85% Ethanol) fine, but the fuel lines etc can't handle more.

Here's a link to the Hagerty article: http://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/hobby_ ... x?id=55960

·
Registered
758 Posts
Good grief. Your Escape can handle more than E10. Your fuel lines do not fail with higher blends. Your can run E85 with a conversion kit in your vehicle. You can run somewhere around E50 in your 2005 or newer Escape without throwing a check engine light as documented by two Escape Hybrid owners-2005 and 2009 owners. I have been running mine hybrid on higher blends (as high as almost E40) for 24 months now without a hickup. Sometimes my mpg is better with an E20-25 blend than with E10. Look at this:

In the far right scanguage note the long term fuel trim (LFT) value of 12.5. This values increase as the percent of ethanol in your fuel increases. In the 2005 Ford Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis section 1-38/1-39 details short term and long term fuel trim values. It mentions a value of +/- 25% for fuel trim values as normal without throwing a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) for abnormal fuel trim values. A simple way to determine E% is to multiple the fuel trim value (scanguage's LFT) by 2 to obtain a rough estimate. This indicates E50 as a limit.

Here is a photo from an E20 fillup:

No, I do not work for any ethanol companies or products. I want to keep my money at home and not send it "elsewhere".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Billyk said:
I want to keep my money at home and not send it "elsewhere".
That's exactly why I don't believe on foreign cars and & sure as heck try to stay out of china mart,.. er, I mean wal mart.
(btw, doesn't matter where it is made, if it's a foreign make, it's foreign.)

As for Ethanol, I've noticed mpg loss when running fuel with it in it. I liken it to the soybean filler in a Mcdonalds hamburger. My Trans Am would nock & ping if it even heard the word "Ethanol" :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.