Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any members here been in or are in the marine corp? I am currently in school but a friend of mine has come back told me some stories about some of the things he's done. My family has alot of military/marine history and I want to join but I dont, if that makes sense. I have been trying to decide this for 5-6 years now and I still dont know what to do.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im starting my 8th year next week with the Canadian forces, great job great opportunities, lots of new friends, different places to live. self confidence, pride, respect. this list of pros is endless. i have had a lot of family and friends comment on how much i changed (for the better) after only a few years of service. i wanted to join the marines when i was 18, but the dual citizen ship rules changed that year. my dads family if from the US. im 1 generation away. i could transfer over now, but im too old, and my body has been damaged. dont take too long to think about it. i joined at 22, i wish i joined at 18.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I am in the ARMY . I have been for couple years now. I enjoy it, love it, and at times hate it. I did it for many reasons. One is for me, when I met my wife I continued for us, and now I do it cause of the economy and of course my wife.... Good experience, good times. If I had the chance to go and do it over again, I WOULD and would have done it soon after I got out of high school. (I waited a couple before I joined) I have had soo many oppurtunities to see and do differnt things. The only reason I could buy a car, house, and toy. Was cause of the ARMY...... Hope this helps Pal.....

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Get off the fence and go for it! Due to family constraints, I waited till I was 25 years old to join the Army. I wanted to go right out of H.S., but couldn't. Waiting was bad, but the actual experience, while making me want to scream at times, was well worth it. Not one single day has gone by that I don't think about the things that I was able to do with my life as a direct result of my military experience. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I gotta agree with Jonas...

If your willing to put up with all the possibilities of deployment and some hardships here and there, the experience and training, benefits etc are well worth it.

I have run my own company for 10 years now using the training and work ethic I originally learned in the USMC.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Served 8 years in the Army. Had good times and bad but well worth it. I would do it again if I could. Just make sure you go in with a clear head. The military right now, especially in the Marines, will stand a high chance of seeing combat. Not to be taken lightly by any means. If your going in because of peer pressure of the free training and school. Then you better stay home and think about it. I saw some problems when I was in and it wasn't fun or pleasent. Think it over and go in for your reasons, not your parents or your friends. That said, I saw many things, been around the world almost three times and took part in both civil and military actions that I'm dam proud of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not the kind of person that is pressured into things, I dont like when ppl try to, it makes me not want to do it. I was just thinking about joining the Marines cuz thats where most of my family went and it just seemed like the one to join

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greycougar said:
I'm not the kind of person that is pressured into things, I dont like when ppl try to, it makes me not want to do it. I was just thinking about joining the Marines cuz thats where most of my family went and it just seemed like the one to join
Nobody and I mean Nobody, here is pressuring you!!! YOUR, the one that asked for opinions on it. (joining Marines) I personally know some who have replied. They are outstanding people. So light'n up EH! Sooo, Back in October "69" when I got called for a draft physical. I would have joined the Marines. But due to a handicap. No one would take me. 'cept the salvation army.......... Nuff said. I'll get off my soap box know........... PK

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've been working at the USMC Headquarters for almost 1 year. It's a very cool place to work. I have a very high respect for Marines (& all branches of service), and hear lots of good stories.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
PollKat said:
Greycougar said:
Nobody and I mean Nobody, here is pressuring you!!! YOUR, the one that asked for opinions on it. (joining Marines) I personally know some who have replied. They are outstanding people. So light'n up EH!
I think you misread him PK. I don't believe he directed that comment towards people on this site. It was more of a general statement....

As for the Marines or any Armed Forces, I haven't joined. Actually, I couldn't being born with clubbed feet. My father was in the National Guard and my Uncle was in the Air Force. Both felt the experience was very worth it. More recently a young man from my church joined the Navy to become a Seal. He died in a training accident. It was very sad but it was what he wanted to do. The one time I saw him after joining he told me how much he loved it. I can't tell you from personal experience what I think you should do but if it's what you want, I say go for it. You will certainly gain my respect.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I've never been in the service but I work for the Navy as a civilian fixing aircraft. Most of the people at work (Naval Air Depot, Jacksonville) are ex-Navy, and while everyone complains some about their enlisted time they said it's not really worse than any other job. Most say they enjoyed their service due to travel and comradeship of their fellow airmen/ seamen. It seems like a good idea if you don't already have a clear career path lined up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RobtRoma said:
PollKat said:
Greycougar said:
Nobody and I mean Nobody, here is pressuring you!!! YOUR, the one that asked for opinions on it. (joining Marines) I personally know some who have replied. They are outstanding people. So light'n up EH!
Yeah that wasn't directed towards anyone one here, I'm not an uptight guy that that thinks everyone is trying to tell me what to do. I can see how you thought that though, I'll try to be a little more clear from now on.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
You're also saying that you are not the type of person that likes to get pressured into things, it makes you not want to do it. Don't take this wrong, but in the military that is something you'll face almost on a daily basis.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Nobody and I mean Nobody, here is pressuring you!!! YOUR, the one that asked for opinions on it. (joining Marines) I personally know some who have replied. They are outstanding people. So light'n up EH![/quote]

Yeah that wasn't directed towards anyone one here, I'm not an uptight guy that that thinks everyone is trying to tell me what to do. I can see how you thought that though, I'll try to be a little more clear from now on.[/quote]
I showed this to #1 son. Said I haven't changed... *L* :doh: My apologies to you for jumping the gun..... (submitin to fast) :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand that the military pushes you to do better and that would make it different, if not I'd imagine I'd get over it real quick. I'm sure I could get over it anyway, anymore now I just don't bother listening to ppl who think they know what they are talking about. If I join I was thinking about trying to get into the infantry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts