Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an 05 Escape with V6. Check Engine light came on, scanner gives a P0193 code- fuel rail pressure sensor high. My Haynes manual says the test port is located on the left side of the fuel rail, however I've been unable to find it. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to go??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response Four_Eyes. Unfortunately I seem to be having the same problem as the OP, I'm not having any luck finding the test port either. Will continue to research.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
tlcrisp said:
Thank you for the response Four_Eyes. Unfortunately I seem to be having the same problem as the OP, I'm not having any luck finding the test port either. Will continue to research.
Hello there and welcome to the City dear tlcrisp.
Look under the rubber big hose which connects the air filter box to the MAF and the intake.Under there you will see the metal fuel pipe.On that pipe you should be able to locate the shrader valve which is covered with a plastic cap.
Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome SUVord. I found the metal fuel line going into the fuel rail under the large rubber hose from the air filter. I followed it back from the fuel rail all the way back to the fire wall and there was no schraeder valve for a test port :shrug: At the present my P0193 fail has cleared, however it remains to be seen whether it will return or not. Of course this was after I purchased a pressure gauge kit for making the measurement. Thank you for your help.

Terry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Four_Eyes said:
If I'm reading you right, you went the other way. Follow the fuel supply manifold to the (other) end. It should look like a small tube with (hopefully) a cover.
I have searched from end of the fuel rail (on left side of intake as you're facing the motor) all the way back to the firewall with no luck. THe check engine light just came back on today, I suspect the sensor is probably bad, but it would be nice to be able to verify the pressure is correct before changing it. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome, thanks.

Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this post is old, but the 05 and later 3.0L engines did NOT have schrader valves. The only way to check fuel pressure is with a scan tool that can read the PID's, because there is a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail instead of a regulator. The fuel pressure sensor communicates to the computer what the fuel pressure is in relation to manifold vacuum. The reason for the sensor is that these systems have a returnless fuel supply. So rather than sending unused fuel back to the fuel tank and creating fuel tank vapors, This system regulates how much fuel pressure is needed by throttling the pump. There is still a fuel pressure regulator, it just performs a different function and is back by the fuel pump and controls the fuel pump. So now we rely completely on technology to tell us what's happening. :rant: That's some real intelligent thinking by ford. :bang:

That being said, there is no way to hook a guage to it unless you make some sort of temporary adapter hose. There is one you can buy, and I found a link on another thread. Below is a direct link to the part.

http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatool ... 74484.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
It appears the above link is dead now. I think this is the same tool:

http://www.langtools.com/sku-74484-5-16 ... sler-ford/

Not positive though.

I am a little confused about the fuel system design on the Gen II (08-12) Escape. My understanding is:

- It is returnless (my '12 seems to have a return pipe though...)
- It has no fuel pressure regulator (though some people say it has one located on the pump)
- There is a combined fuel pressure/MAP sensor
- The ECU reads the fuel pressure and sends a signal to a module to regulate the fuel pump speed to control the pressure- .
- There is no check valve in the pump
- Fuel pressure is not maintained while the engine is off
- The pump runs at full pressure for one second when the key is turned on and also during cranking.
- There is no test port past the '05 model year.

Can anyone confirm or deny these?

I do have a scanner that reads live data but of course that will not help if the pressure sensor is the problem. My problem is long cranking time, about 5 seconds.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
mpo said:
It appears the above link is dead now. I think this is the same tool:

http://www.langtools.com/sku-74484-5-16 ... sler-ford/

Not positive though.

I am a little confused about the fuel system design on the Gen II (08-12) Escape. My understanding is:

- It is returnless (my '12 seems to have a return pipe though...)
- It has no fuel pressure regulator (though some people say it has one located on the pump)
- There is a combined fuel pressure/MAP sensor

- The ECU reads the fuel pressure and sends a signal to a module to regulate the fuel pump speed to control the pressure- .
- There is no check valve in the pump
- Fuel pressure is not maintained while the engine is off
- The pump runs at full pressure for one second when the key is turned on and also during cranking.
- There is no test port past the '05 model year.

Can anyone confirm or deny these?

I do have a scanner that reads live data but of course that will not help if the pressure sensor is the problem. My problem is long cranking time, about 5 seconds.

Thanks
This is an old post I know but it has good questions I am troubleshooting a long crank to start on my 2011 Escape Does the MAP sensor turn the pump on and off or control pressure?

Is there a Fuel pressure regulator back by the pump?

Yesterday I Took a video of what mine is doing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.