Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if those that have the four cylinder are happy with it? or do you wish that you went with the V6?

I'm particularly interested in those that have the newer six speed transmissions in the '09 or '10's.

I'm contemplating "possibly" going with the four in hopes of saving gas if the "get-up-and-go" isn't that bad in the 4...

Please let me know too if you went with the 4x4 or FWD, too

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
We have the 4 cylinder Tribute. It's an 08 model and we are quite satisfied with the performance. The 09 has more HP, and Torque along with the six speed tranny. I'd buy another just like this one for myself I like it so much, but one car payment is enough! ;)

I don't know that I would be interested in the six speed or the V-6. We get 33 mpg on the highway doing a steady 70 mph. The V-6 isn't going to do anywhere near that, imo. Probably get between 2-3 mpg less...just my estimate based on the Ford website. Others will ring in here for sure and keep it straight. Depends on whether you are looking for more performance or more mpg.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the 4 cylinder in my 09, the power is ok but the engine is loud when you step on the gas and too much vibrations at idle. I would go with the six if I had a do over. The EPA mileage for the FWD model is 22/28 for the four and 18/26 for the six.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I've heard it both ways when it comes to the 4-cyl... some people hate it, while others think it's just fine. From what I've read over the years, more think it's just fine. No one thinks it's a fast vehicle. I would say it depends upon what you are used to and what you expect. If you are coming from a car with a strong v6 or a v8, the 4-cyl will seem underpowered. If you are coming from an old Hyundai it will probably seem very peppy. The best way to find out if the 4-cyl is adequate for you would be to test drive one...

·
Registered
51 Posts
RobtRoma got the right idea - test drive one and see how you like it. It is noisy compared to the V-6, but it does get up and move and criuises nicely with the 6sp. and just the FWD, which I'm sure saves on weight and helps with acceleration and handling. The FWD is not great in the snow, but better than the average car. Some nice winter tires would really help or extremetly snowy climates, just get 4x4.

My opinion is that the gas savings is really not that much that it wouldn't be a determining factor. What is for me would be if it's going to be loaded down often i.e. lots of family trips, I would go with the V6 for better torque, but if it's going to be used mostly for commuting the 4cyl, is more than capable and you can save a few bucks up front and over the life of having it on gas.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree in driving both to determine which is better for you. I have had almost all 4-cylinder cars and I didn't change a thing with my 2010. I think it has more than enough power for my needs. I mostly drive by myself in it as my wife has a Fusion for a company car and we take that nearly everywhere. I actually get the same mileage as my Passat did, except now I have 4WD, so I am happy. I would say with a family or towing womething, the V6 would be better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Checking in with a 2009 4WD 4 cylinder... My personal observations:

The 4 cylinder is perfect for my daily driving requirements. The 6 Speed transmission does a great job getting the 5200 pound Escape around the surface streets and highways of southeastern Michigan. But for me, I wasn't looking for massive amounts of power. I wanted a small SUV that had great all weather capability, good gas mileage and it had to include a blue oval for an emblem.

I also have a Jeep Liberty with a V6 that I use to tow stuff around with. So the towing capacity of the Escape with a 4-cylinder [1500 pounds MAX] was not a concern.

Just for reference:

Jeep Liberty gas milage [average] = 17MPG
Ford Escape gas milage [average] = 22MPG

I can go about 80 miles further in the Escape with a smaller gas tank between the same drive. That's almost 2 extra trips to work and back.

I am very happy with my choice of the Escape in 4 cylinder. I don't mind the "louder" engine... at least I know it's running.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Is the Jeep that quiet?

I drove one when the first came out and was not impressed with the leg room in front. I am tall at 6' 4", and wear a size 13...foot well seemed cramped. Nevermind the gas mileage thing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The only time the Jeep is quiet is when it's not running. From day one, the Liberty has sounded like it's running 2 quarts low on oil. The liberty folk believe it's because of the lifter design on the early models, since there was a change back in 2003 that made the engines quieter.

This is probably why I don't mind the Escape. It's quieter than my Jeep.

On the footroom thing: The 2002's had a really beefy transmisison in them [out of the Dodge Ram V8] and that took up a lot of room in the foot well. The transmission was also changed in 2003 to a smaller unit to get some more room down there... The Escape is way roomier with the FWD configuration hands down though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got back from a 4900 mile round trip from NY to AZ with my '10 escape 4cyl. Unless you tow I do not see a reason for the 6cyl. Great diving at 75mph good mileage and plenty of power. Our vehicle was loaded to the max. Drive both and see what you think but even 2-4 extra MPG over the life of the vehicle adds up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought the 2010 Limited with a 6 banger as I tow a small utility trailer and will eventually buy a small tent trailer. I am very very impressed with the power and transmission. (Knock on wood) :beer:

·
Registered
157 Posts
sleeve said:
Checking in with a 2009 4WD 4 cylinder... My personal observations:

The 4 cylinder is perfect for my daily driving requirements. The 6 Speed transmission does a great job getting the 5200 pound Escape around the surface streets and highways of southeastern Michigan.
That's one heavy Escape :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Lammer said:
Wondering if those that have the four cylinder are happy with it? or do you wish that you went with the V6?
2.3L 4cylinder with 4x4 and 5speed manual. Couldn't be happier. No regrets :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
09 with 4 cylinder 6 speed automatic

As already noted, it's noisy on acceleration, but quiet once you reach cruising speed, and you will feel some vibration in idle. As for power, Ford says it can do 0-60 equal to the 2008's 6 cylinder. Seems peppy enough for me. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I test drove both the 4 and 6 cylinder '09 Escapes for buying the 6 cylinder. I didn't like the noise of the 4 cylinder, and I think it would have got on my nerves after owning it for awhile. I also really liked the smooth idle and the passing acceleration the V6 offered. For over several years of my planned ownership of the Escape, I thought the benefits of the V6 outweighed the small mpg difference. In warmer weather I usually average abut 28mpg highway at mostly 65-70mph speeds.

Like everyone suggests, give them both a test drive and choose what's good for you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I drive a ton for work until recently, but I got the only 4 clyinder 4x4 escape i could find in MN and get 24/25 hwy mpg if I go speed limit. city driving really knocks it down to about 19/20 and this cold doesnt help or me pushing the gas a lot to slide around corners. If you never need to tow the 4 cylinder is great, even with 4x4 it doesnt seem too slugish. My vibe seemed faster but that was also like half the weight. my dad has a v6 xlt and driving below WOT he said they feel exactly the same.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The new 2.5 might be fine (I haven't driven one). However, after over a decade of driving 4-bangers, I'm very happy with a V6 with some torque, and a V8 in my other vehicle. MPG is overrated. :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yeah I have the 2.3l and its just torq less but I dont have a issue with it. The 2.5 should be a slight improvement but towing is still limited at 1500lbs. I'd love to feel the new transmission 6spd though, the 5 speed auto on mine leaves something to be desired ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.