Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--Since it's inception, in our town, three years ago, we have had Fios high speed broadband cable.
Our last contract was 15/20 mbps. Our new one is 35/35 mbps.
So----, I go one line to check the speed of the down/uploads of our PC.
What!, only 12 down and 9 up, and I'm paying for 35/35 mbps.
The damn &*#@$ Verizon company, in all it's wisdom to push the product forgot to tell us that
most PC's don't have the system to handle that speed-----BUT---Guess what?---
They do have a free, fast download to enable the PC to handle the speed.
But did they tell us???? NOOOO.
I found it by accident searching the support site.
There's one for DSL and one for FIOs, and they're called 'Speed Optimizers'.
After downloading & restarting the PC, I had 35/35.

Here's the website for the Verizon's speedcheck, you must use Internet Explorer & you need to know the speed you're paying for(go to your account, it's the forth item down
'your current bandwidth speed'):

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/

Optimizer for FIOS, if you have Vista, you must download it as Administrator(DSL has one too, but you will have to check the support site for it)

http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

(you have to restart the computer after the download)

Estelle the Dork

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
:wall: Oh these companies. I checked the speed test and is wrong I run a 3.5 to 5 Mb download and a low .33Mb upload where as it told me I run 1.6 Mb upload and about the same for download. Well I guess it depends on the host server......... In the far past I have tried those speed enhancers and all it was an image degrader. The image wouldnt come in as sharp thus upping the download speed.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Pretty cool as you can choose differnt servers lowest I got was 3.44Mb and highest 5.04Mb

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I'm a FiOS user too. I think I have the 10/2 plan. That would make sense with the results I got:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Just ran the optimizer to see if it could make my connection any quicker... It actually got a teeny bit slower: :roll:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Time-Warner:

Toronto server:

Hamilton server:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hmm, I'm slow. I don't pay for the fastest though, I used to be on Dial-Up, so to me it's blazing.

Closest Server:

Server in Cali:

I'll have to try from work, we are supposed to have T1 connections.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts

I really didn't think my connection was all that bad. After seeing some of these other results though.....
Hmmm....I wonder if it matters that I am using a laptop and the desktop and router are in another room? :shrug:

Now I'm really confused. Atlanta, GA is further away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have comcast here in Michigan and I'm paying for their slowest rate equivalent to DSL. My bill went from $50.00 to $24.50 but the speed is about the same.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Jackson Energy Authority... Local internet/cable company

My town

Few Towns over

San Fran - 1900 miles away

Not too shabby really. I'm pretty sure I'm paying for 6 MBS download.

·
Registered
200 Posts
100Chuck said:
I have comcast here in Michigan and I'm paying for their slowest rate equivalent to DSL. My bill went from $50.00 to $24.50 but the speed is about the same.

HOLY CRAP!

21Mbps? I WISH!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
My Comcast is rockin, I think I pay $45 a month for this:

I've had Comcast for most of my 9 years in Florida, very good service. There's a higher speed (I think) for $60 but I can stream Netflix without lag so I don't need anything faster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts