Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Tribu-marin-escap-ericks in other countries have motorized folding side mirrors? And if so, do you ever use them? (I am regularly using mine, because the road where I live is only 3 meters wide in some spots, and I have to fold the mirrors in to prevent them from being sliced off by opposing traffic.)

I suspect this feature might be valuable in dicey off-roading situations, but I can't recall any cars in America that had it*, and virtually all cars in Japan have it.

* Be gentle, I haven't lived in the USA since 1992...

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,621 Posts
My Escape (2003 XLT) did not have motorized folding mirrors.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ford has never offered power-folding exterior mirrors on North American E/M/Ts.

:cuss:

For our 2001-2007 models, the switch for power folding mirrors in other countries was replaced with a coin tray. I've seen threads where some people in the US have changed their mirrors to the mirrors that Ford installed on Escapes and Tributes sold in the Philippines, since that's one of Ford's only large-volume Asian countries with the steering wheel on the same side as the North American models.

But the redesign of the 2008 North American E/M/T brought new exterior (non-power-folding) mirrors with it, and those aren't interchangeable with the mirrors of any other Ford model.

:shrug:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jpark said:
But the redesign of the 2008 North American E/M/T brought new exterior (non-power-folding) mirrors with it, and those aren't interchangeable with the mirrors of any other Ford model. :shrug:
Hmm. You'd think they would at least have that as an option...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Power folding mirrors... no. I've never seen that on a North American vehicle. That's not to say it isn't available somewhere. I just have never seen it. What amazes me is there are some cars that still don't have at least manual folding mirrors. I was looking at the new Fusion last week and the mirrors are fixed. I always fold my drivers side mirror when I park in the street... just in case.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RobtRoma said:
I was looking at the new Fusion last week and the mirrors are fixed. I always fold my drivers side mirror when I park in the street... just in case.
Hmm, fixed side mirrors? That would make me feel sort of... weird. Like not being able to roll your windows up all the way....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
jpark said:
For our 2001-2007 models, the switch for power folding mirrors in other countries was replaced with a coin tray.
I thought that coin holder was the most useless thing on my interior, now I find out it's just a plug to cover up a cool feature we don't have. Well at least mine do fold up manually, I've always liked that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know at least GM offers power folding mirrors on some models, as our Acadia has them. Our neighbor's Escalade has them as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Airmapper said:
jpark said:
For our 2001-2007 models, the switch for power folding mirrors in other countries was replaced with a coin tray.
I thought that coin holder was the most useless thing on my interior, now I find out it's just a plug to cover up a cool feature we don't have. Well at least mine do fold up manually, I've always liked that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the point of that coin holder (notice we said coin holder and not coins holder). It just seemed so...superfluous. Yay, I used a big word!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The J said:
Airmapper said:
jpark said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the point of that coin holder (notice we said coin holder and not coins holder). It just seemed so...superfluous. Yay, I used a big word!
I suppose it's a holdover from the days when people didn't have wallets, or something. In any case, there's no coin holder that can hold enough money for even one visit to the parking deck, and I have an electronic toll card for the expressway, so yeah -- why have them?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Folding mirrors? No help here. But I do own a Bullitt GT. It does not have folding mirrors, but the almost exact same mirror (on an identical bodied car) is offered on the Cobra version of the car and it does have folding mirrors. As for the Tribute. Nope. Manual I guess, (I never really noticed, and my wife has gone off to work) like on my F-150. The newer trucks have the power folding mirrors as an option.

That does explain the superfluous coin tray in the Mustang and other models that I have seen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.