Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have changed front rotors 3 times on my 2006 Escape. Have 49K miles on it. Normal driving - no hard braking. I get vibrations when braking - new rotors fix the problem!
Do anyone experience this problem?

[mod]Topics merged and moved to Problems and Solutions.
Colleen[/mod]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Many things can contribute to warped rotors. I myself have had issues with that since I started driving buy it was all due to my driving habits. Here's a few that could be causing it.

-Going to fast into a turn and braking
-Over-tightening lug nuts (or so I've been told)
-Going through big puddles/water when the rotors are hot or washing the wheels when still hot.
-A caliper is dragging e.g. not fully releasing causing rotor to get hot.

That's just a few I've come up with. I've adjusted my driving and managed to save my tires and rotors. I used to dive into turns and corners in my Mustang and it would eat up the outer edge of my tires.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Can u explain why u had to change UR rotors, what was the damage to the rotors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
Number 1 and 4 is new to me, this I to watch for.
oskerd: reason for change is warped rotors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
+1 on over-tightening the lugnuts. My lugnuts had always been tightened by tire stores (who will over-tighten to avoid liability lawsuits) or I just wrenched them down myself with a 4-way lugnut wrench until it seemed tight enough.

Then I bought a torque wrench and started tightening the lugnuts to the specified torque of 98 ft-lbs (which is not as tight as you might think). Front brake vibrations decreased noticeably (but didn't stop) and rear brake squeals stopped entirely. I can live with the small amount of front brake vibration. I strongly urge owners to get a torque wrench and tighten to specs, then if you have problems you know it isn't the lugnuts being over-tightened.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
johe said:
Lugnuts, is this equal to (my english) wheelnuts or the caliperbolts?
Sure, lugnuts is eq. wheel nuts. As you refer to tire store tighten then too much.
I will have this checked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts