Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen some Hondas with a clear vinyl coverings like a decal that cover the front bumper and hood section to protect the paint from rock chips.
Anyone seen any of these for our beloved Escapes?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Sounds like the 3M clear protective film. I'm not sure where to get them, but if I was tracking them down, I would either call the NAPA counter or email 3M for a list of distributors.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SprinterX said:
http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/products_ip/browser.cgi?prevtype=Automobiles+and+light+trucks&prevyear=2007&prevmake=FORD&prevmodel=&prevsubmodel=&prevseries=&type=Automobiles+and+light+trucks&year=2007&make=FORD&model=ESCAPE
^^^ Ordered this kit. Checked out ebay with not much success.

Found a discount code on the net for another 10% off. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had the kit sitting for a little while now and needed to get it on as we were planning to use the escape for a trip up to our cabin at the lake. This road is a main truck route and the original reason for my need to protect the front of the vehicle.
The vinyl is quite thick and the kit came with everything needed including dvd instructions for a successful install. After touching up any chips and having it sit in my buds garage over night to get warmed up I began the install.
I started with the easy, smaller stuff first. It can be a little tricky at times but following the guide and using lots of the soapy spray I was able to develope a technique. The first few pieces took some time but it went quicker as I went along.
From start to finish took about 5 hours.The only real problem I had was with the section that wraped around the fog light area. Being so thick, it's a challenge to form the vinyl around the many compound courves in that area. As hard as I tried I still got a few small creases. The other side I simply cut a slit in that spot and walla, no creases. I may try getting another of these pieces and doing the same where it creased. Overall, I'm pleased with the results.
Road test coming up in a few days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2010 Escape is my company truck which i'm getting set up with advertising decals. The decal company had their own packages to cover all the areas including the whole bumper, headlights, fog lights, grille, backs of the mirrors etc, and cost about the same price as what is on the invisiblemask.com website - except the local company included installation for the same price. You might want to look in the yellowpages for 'auto detailing' or 'auto-graphics' and give them a call.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I Purchased the kit from invisiblemask.com also...not impressed. the hood piece is a solid 2 inches short on both sides!!!
I called and all they said was we can get a professional installer to stretch it to fit... problem is people I have talked to all said that you shouldnt stretch the film very much or you might get silvering in it! stretch a bit tom make it conform, but not so much just to get it to the edges of the hood!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.