Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first items I install on all of my trucks is a set of vent visors. I prefer the in channel ones over the stick on ones because they look a lot more 'factory' and less 'add-on'. Also, I don't care what kind of double stick tape you use, eventually you will have one that turns loose and flaps. My Escape is a 2008 model and it being somewhat new, the in channel visors are a little harder to find. I found some WADE (#37403 smoke) 4 piece visors set for my ride. I received them last week and installed them in less than 10 minutes. The fit/finish is great and most importantly they work. I have used many sets over the years, but this is my first set of Wade visors and I have noticed they are a tad wider than most and I like that. Here are a couple of pics:

I really like them and think that they look and work great, and for only $39.99 for the set its a great deal. Also, one of the BEST features of these particular units is that they are MADE IN THE USA.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I've had them for about 3 years now and they have held up well. No cracking or fading so far. The only issue I have had was the two sided tape on the front edge of the front drivers side has come loose a little. I think in the install I should have cleaned the groove a little better as dirt may have negated the glue some. I have other two sided tape here and eventually will get around to it but it has not caused any issues even as is...

The do look good and functional too. They reduce the direct wind coming into your face when the windows are down and if it is raining you can crack the windows to move some air as needed and not get wet!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Did you get those online? I am thinking about doing some mods to our 08 Tribute, but we have a couple home improvement things to do first. Then again, it is less than $50.00...I think that I could do those now!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jonas1022 said:
Did you get those online? I am thinking about doing some mods to our 08 Tribute, but we have a couple home improvement things to do first. Then again, it is less than $50.00...I think that I could do those now!
Yeah, I got them on eBay for $49.90 shipped. One of the best/useful mods you can do for the money.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Oh, gee! I was thinking of looking there, and thought Nah! He'd probably look at some online warehouse....;) :wacko:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello monkey -1. :) Those wind deflectors look presentable. During the summer if it is not too hot, i leave the air conditioner off and have my rear windows down. Yes!, it is noticeable that the rear deflectors serve their purpose. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I just installed these same visors myself recently. Had to wait on the front until I got the tints taken care of (which I now have). I was sceptical at first after installing the rears. They didn't tuck up as well as i would have hoped. The adhesive is minimal, so I don't really count in it to hold in place. Upon rolling the windows back up they hit the visors when they reached that level, wasn't thrilled here either. However I figured they'd need some time to set in and form the channel that they reside in. With windows closed and a day or so later they seem just fine. As I said the fronts went in a lil while later, and they seem very secure. Overall I am happy with them and they look and function great. I'm curious to see how they get through a Northeast winter!! Until then, for the $40 paid, I rate these visors as a "MUST BUY". I know I know.........PICS? Will update when I can.

·
Registered
297 Posts
is it only smokers who use these? lol

i like them tho its a pity we cant have dark tinted font windows over here anymore :(

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
We aren't allowed to either but I really don't care lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I installed mine, they did not make the in channel yet. One of mine is starting to peel off at the corner. That will be my excuse to get a new set. I ahve has these on now almost 2 years. I bought escape in July 07 and installed the ventisor by the end of the month, but had to settle for stick ons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi everyone. Im new to this forum. Got my 09 Escape XLT last october. I live in Canada and am waiting for the warm weather and once its hear im looking at getting some window vents. I like the look of the inchannel ones but was told they are not good. The reason(s) I as told this is they tend to burn out power window motors and in the winter the window can become frozen to the vent and pull it off. Anyone have either of these issues? In the past on my ranger I had the stick on ones that go on the door jam, never had an issue with these at all winter or summer. I will say that some of them do look alright but not as clean as the channel ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
nicker22 said:
Hi everyone. Im new to this forum. Got my 09 Escape XLT last october. I live in Canada and am waiting for the warm weather and once its hear im looking at getting some window vents. I like the look of the inchannel ones but was told they are not good. The reason(s) I as told this is they tend to burn out power window motors and in the winter the window can become frozen to the vent and pull it off. Anyone have either of these issues? In the past on my ranger I had the stick on ones that go on the door jam, never had an issue with these at all winter or summer. I will say that some of them do look alright but not as clean as the channel ones.

Thanks
As far as the freezing goes.....you probably wont have the windows down that often in weather like that....drive thru's and tolls are the only thing I could see. Since it would be plastic on window...I bet smearing a thin coat of vaseline where they contact would prevent them from freezing together during the winter, and easily cleaned off when it is warm again. Havent tried it myself so who knows just how well that theory will work. I've got a set of em coming myself, so I will be trying that idea when the cold weather comes back this year tho.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just had a set of these wade vent visors delivered...... My review

HORRIBLE! STAY AWAY FROM THESE PIECES OF SHIAT!

Only ONE out of the 4 fit and stayed properly. Driver side door is ok, driver back is too big. The actual rise of the visor sticks into the seal really pushing the seal out. Back passenger, same but not as bad. Passenger door, the damn thing cracked with barely a bend on it...I mean you could of just held it by one end and gave it a gentle shake and it woulda cracked....thats how little effort it too. On top of that, it was WAY too big. I couldnt even make it fit in there, and this is after cracking it further. There is $50 down the toilet.

I shoulda just stuck with well known brands like Lund or something, or even the Ford ones. VERY disappointed with these. Cant even use em.

·
Registered
79 Posts
C17chief said:
I just had a set of these wade vent visors delivered...... My review

HORRIBLE! STAY AWAY FROM THESE PIECES OF SHIAT!

Only ONE out of the 4 fit and stayed properly. Driver side door is ok, driver back is too big. The actual rise of the visor sticks into the seal really pushing the seal out. Back passenger, same but not as bad. Passenger door, the damn thing cracked with barely a bend on it...I mean you could of just held it by one end and gave it a gentle shake and it woulda cracked....thats how little effort it too. On top of that, it was WAY too big. I couldnt even make it fit in there, and this is after cracking it further. There is $50 down the toilet.

I shoulda just stuck with well known brands like Lund or something, or even the Ford ones. VERY disappointed with these. Cant even use em.
YIKES did you contact the people you bought them from? That sounds like you got some lemons! :(

I wonder if the LUND ones would be better :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The best vent visors were stainless steel. When they went to the plastic units is when I stopped installing them on my cars and trucks. The stainless vents were inchannel and also screwed on to the door frame. No problems...ever! :calvin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts