Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new black 2010 XLT Sport Appearance Package Escape and found this awesome site! Does anyone know if all the wiring is in place to add heat to my leather seats, both at the seat and at the heater controls? I see the heater controls with the switches for the heated seats for sale on E-Bay and wonder if I get the switches, the heater pads and probably install some fuses if it will be a "plug and play" deal or is anything that easy these days?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
hmmm!

am i missing something??

do you have leather or standard seat?

i got a 2010 black sport appearance too and the canadian winter package and the seats are heated... not you??

weird!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Leather Package, but the only way that I could find heated seats whether in Ford Literature or online was to order the Limited Package and to do that I would have to give up the Sport Appearance Package. Do you live in Canada or was that something that you ordered in the states?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
ah ok i understand... i'm in Canada and ordered canadian winter package so the leather comes with the heat as with the limited and got also leather steering along with the sport package...

in the state you have to go to the limited trim to get it heated...

thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
gbrown69 said:
in the state you have to go to the limited trim to get it heated...
Looks like Ford is making heated seats a standard part of the leather package, including on the XLT model, for 2011. :clap:

For those of us who bought the 2010 XLT SAP, however, the heated seat components can apparently be ordered individually: seat cushions and backrest pads with heater mats (the heater mat cannot be purchased separately), heated seat relays (one for each seat), and an HVAC module (the climate control module in the dash, either the manual or the automatic temperature version, but with the heated seat switches).

One question for which I have not found a definitive answer is: the manual HVAC module requires the Programmable Module Installation procedure (factory service manual section 418-01-2):

Programmable Module Installation (PMI) Using the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) When the Original
Module is NOT Available

NOTE:
Following module installation, some modules require a separate procedure be carried out. For instructions, refer to the specific module removal and
installation procedures.
1. Install the new module.
2. Connect the IDS and identify the vehicle as normal.
3. From the Toolbox icon, select Module Programming and press the check mark.
4. Select Programmable Module Installation.
5. Select the module that was replaced.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions, turn the ignition key to the OFF position, and press the check mark.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions, turn the ignition key to the ON position, and press the check mark.
8. If the data is not available, the IDS displays a screen stating to contact the As-Built Data Center. Retrieve the data from the technician service
publication website at this time and press the check mark.
9. Enter the module data and press the check mark.
10. The IDS downloads the data into the new module and displays Module Configuration Complete.
11. Test module for correct operation.


The "As-Built" language in line 8 suggests that the new module is programmed using the factory settings, which might not enable the heated seat controls. Anyone know if the replacement HVAC module can be (or even needs to be) programmed to over-ride the factory "as-built" settings for the heated seat switches to function?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I have added aftermarket seat heaters to several cars, including my 03 Escape. I won't say it's "easy" but it's definitely do-able if you are at all competent. It involves removing the seats from the car. You may have to remove the seat covers, but in my case I found it very possible to "roll back" the seat covers to get the heater elements in place. I did not use any factor wiring. The kits come with all the wiring you need. It comes with a lighted switch, too, that you install. Once installed they work great. If you want more info about where I acquired them or how to install them, pm me or, if anyone else has an interest, I can post some pointers publicly here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
bird67 said:
I have added aftermarket seat heaters to several cars, including my 03 Escape. I won't say it's "easy" but it's definitely do-able if you are at all competent. It involves removing the seats from the car. You may have to remove the seat covers, but in my case I found it very possible to "roll back" the seat covers to get the heater elements in place. I did not use any factor wiring. The kits come with all the wiring you need. It comes with a lighted switch, too, that you install. Once installed they work great. If you want more info about where I acquired them or how to install them, pm me or, if anyone else has an interest, I can post some pointers publicly here.
I know this is old... but I would really like to know how to get this done.
so far I have the passenger seat out right now for painting. I couldn't get the trim panel off that has the reclining lever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
There is a tsb that involved water staining on escapes only. The tsb gave updated part numbers that didn't stain from water. You may want to find this and ensure they updated Seats have this tsb applied.

Tsb 09-23-3. Applied to 08-09 escapes only. Not mariner. However my mariner seats experienced this. Though I'm not bitter.
https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/escap ... at_covers/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#bitter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
thesavo said:
There is a tsb that involved water staining on escapes only. The tsb gave updated part numbers that didn't stain from water. You may want to find this and ensure they updated Seats have this tsb applied.

Tsb 09-23-3. Applied to 08-09 escapes only. Not mariner. However my mariner seats experienced this. Though I'm not bitter.
https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/escap ... at_covers/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#bitter
This doesnt apply to me. I have leather amd an xlt. Ive been just changing the interior color of my escape. Finally pulled out the front 2 seats to paint them black and red.
Did the same for the back seats last year.

I got the heated seat kit and was able to roll back the seat covers enough to slip the pads in.
Maybe over the weekend will out the seats back in the car and wire them up.

So far... not too bad

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
I doubt with a 2005 that it needs anything more than power and wiring. Like most projects, this seems way easier on a Gen1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
thesavo said:
jsnali13 said:
This doesn't apply to me. I have leather and an XLT. I've been just changing the interior color of my escape. Finally pulled out the front 2 seats to paint them black and red.
Did the same for the back seats last year.

I got the heated seat kit and was able to roll back the seat covers enough to slip the pads in.
Maybe over the weekend will out the seats back in the car and wire them up.
So far... not too bad

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Did you get aftermarket kits or did you recover factory parts?
As far as "the programming" is concerned, there may not be any. The as-built data for my 2008 doesn't seem to even have a line for it.
Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module
EATC 733-01-01 003C

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0AtiYU-y ... _Explorers
This sheet contains the as-built number breakdown for Gen 4 Ford Explorers. The first block is 003c for mine. It does not even contain a second block where Explorers have their "enable" bits.

It is likely that they are not really software controlled in the HVAC unit, but hardware switches. The Diagram doesn't go into that level of detail.
I got an aftermarket kit. Bottom and top pads for both seats.
I dont think the 05's had any heated options.. but that im really not sure.

Initially was looking for a little help in taking the seat apart.. but got it done. I didnt need to remove all the trim. The seat cover itself comes off fairly easy. No bull rings or O rings. Just velcro.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
When putting seats back in the car.. has anyone bothered using thread locker or anything?

Just curious if i should bother or not.

The driver side bolt closest to the door was pretty rusty.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
jsnali13 said:
When putting seats back in the car.. has anyone bothered using thread locker or anything?

Just curious if i should bother or not.

The driver side bolt closest to the door was pretty rusty.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I've had my seats out twice for a one reason or another. I've never added thread locker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
thesavo said:
jsnali13 said:
When putting seats back in the car.. has anyone bothered using thread locker or anything?

Just curious if i should bother or not.

The driver side bolt closest to the door was pretty rusty.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I've had my seats out twice for a one reason or another. I've never added thread locker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks! Wont bother then.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
jsnali13 said:
I dont think the 05's had any heated options.. but that im really not sure.

Initially was looking for a little help in taking the seat apart.. but got it done. I didnt need to remove all the trim. The seat cover itself comes off fairly easy. No bull rings or O rings. Just velcro.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Yes, 05 had an option for it. Here is a diagram for 05. Also I think all you need to do I give it two hot sources, and everything is contained within the seat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
thesavo said:
jsnali13 said:
I dont think the 05's had any heated options.. but that im really not sure.

Initially was looking for a little help in taking the seat apart.. but got it done. I didnt need to remove all the trim. The seat cover itself comes off fairly easy. No bull rings or O rings. Just velcro.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Yes, 05 had an option for it. There is a diagram for 05 that I'll post when I find it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That would be great. I wasnt sure if i should wire both fuses to the 12v from the accessory 12v.
Maybe could use that as a tap in... but then it might not be activated as you said before.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
jsnali13 said:
thesavo said:
jsnali13 said:
I dont think the 05's had any heated options.. but that im really not sure.

Initially was looking for a little help in taking the seat apart.. but got it done. I didnt need to remove all the trim. The seat cover itself comes off fairly easy. No bull rings or O rings. Just velcro.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Yes, 05 had an option for it. There is a diagram for 05 that I'll post when I find it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That would be great. I wasnt sure if i should wire both fuses to the 12v from the accessory 12v.
Maybe could use that as a tap in... but then it might not be activated as you said before.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I wish I had a book or evtm disc for 05-06. Revbase.com doesn't have a component location diagram. You may find that wire in upstream connectors in the diagram.

C328 and c316 may already have the power and ground wires. They may stop there.
Most options are already wired in the main body harness. The spur harness usually lacks the options. It saves them from having additional SKU 's for each big body harness. However that isn't always the case either.

I'll check my 08 EVTM. Connector numbers don't always change over the years. Perhaps it's in the same location as 05.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top