Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[mod]Consolodtated Seward, Alaska and Off roading at Fort Richardson / Elmendorf AFB threads into this new War Wagon Off Roading Thread at request of Meatloafmountain - RobtRoma[/mod]

Off Roading at Fort Richardson/Elmendorf AFB:

So the missus and I were driving through the joint base looking for some lakes to take a canoe out on and we stumbled on a trail buried in the back of the base.











I was showing her a training area I used in the Army and we spied a bear raiding some dumpsters.

#Blackhorse Grille Guard
#Blackhorse Taillight Guards
#Spyder Headlights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your service, sir. I was an 11B1P in the 1/40th when I was in the Army.

We also scouted out Clunie Lake on Rich side. Seems like a great canoe place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Thank you for your service as well. I was 11B in 4/327th, shortly after the realignment between units there and Ft Campbell, from whence I came.

I loved Alaska. Went back once as a consultant, almost moved back, but life had other plans.

-Tod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Cool!

On a side note thanks to both of you for your service, enjoy the holiday :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,541 Posts
Escape94 said:
Cool!

On a side note thanks to both of you for your service, enjoy the holiday :)
+1 :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The missus and I first visited the Wildlife Conservation area then on a wild hair, decided to go to Seward (and ended up seeing the Sealife/Aviary Center). On the way back to Anchorage, we spied a couple of trails leading uphill and into the forest. Most of my good footage is on a GoPro, but I did get some decent pics once the trail abruptly ended and we had to turn around in narrow confines.







Probably not the smartest thing I've done, considering it was one vehicle (without 4WD), no cell phone reception, no one knew where we were at, unfamiliar trail and it was getting dark, but all's well that ends well.

#Blackhorse Grille Guard
#Blackhorse Taillight Guards
#Plasti-Dipped Grille
#Plasti-Dipped Stock Wheels
#Spyder Headlights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Nice! Cool place to mount the camera. I've just suction cupped mine to the windshield before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Escape94 said:
Nice! Cool place to mount the camera. I've just suction cupped mine to the windshield before.
I did that once on a particularly rough trail and it fell off, so now I'm wary of that. I do mount it with the suction cup (upside down) when flying and it works fine then (inside, not outside).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Post a link to some video! I'd like to see.
PS, I got a mount like that with my knock off gopro. Haven't tried it yet. I want to get the mtn bike mount for mine that replaces the headset cap.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
underthetire said:
Haven't tried it yet. I want to get the mtn bike mount for mine that replaces the headset cap.
I've got a helmet mount that I use when biking. Works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
underthetire said:
Post a link to some video! I'd like to see.
Sure. I think tomorrow I'll have time to upload some videos from a couple of trails I've hit.

Escape94 said:
I've got a helmet mount that I use when biking. Works great.
When I worked with MARSOC jumpers for a week, one of the Loadmasters put my GoPro on his helmet to film some HAHO jumps. It almost looks like a FPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
At least you could escape on the bike if the Escape got stranded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
feh2goup said:
At least you could escape on the bike if the Escape got stranded.
I mounted the GoPro on the bike rack and used it as a backup camera :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Meatloafmountain said:
feh2goup said:
At least you could escape on the bike if the Escape got stranded.
I mounted the GoPro on the bike rack and used it as a backup camera :)
Hmm now how did you manage that? Wireless transmitter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Escape94 said:
Hmm now how did you manage that? Wireless transmitter?
iPhone app.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
:doh: oh yeah.. duh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Looks like fun ... Usually the impulse ideas are the most memorable!

My sister finely said one day "I'm not going anywhere with Shawn, something always happens!" My wife thinks it great that we do things and take chances ... Otherwise why not just sit at home and watch others on TV?

How were the Mosquitos this time of year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
123-Shawn said:
Looks like fun ... Usually the impulse ideas are the most memorable!

My sister finely said one day "I'm not going anywhere with Shawn, something always happens!" My wife thinks it great that we do things and take chances ... Otherwise why not just sit at home and watch others on TV?

How were the Mosquitos this time of year?
Sammi and I are the same way. Even our walks are memorable: Coatal Trail, Lake Hood Seaplane Base, etc. I agree with you as far as staying home. I told her when we first started dating that I wanted us to live such a life that a night home watching TV or a movie was unusual.

The mosquitos aren't bad unless around stagnant bodies of water (as usual). They weren't bad at the moving water here but they can be absolutely awful.
 
1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Top