Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Warranty Voided?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  CrashNburn 
#1 ·
People are telling me I totally screwed up my factory warranty,because I lowered my truck(hee,hee,)Escape,1.5 to 2 inches,with new springs!Surely this isn't true?!?!

#2 ·
If a failed component is associated with the lowering then I they may reject that warranty claim. For example if a suspension component failed they would blame the lowering as the cause of the failure.

However I would not think that your total warranty would be voided.

#3 ·
Just the items that were changed out, or are associated with the items changed out. Lower springs + suspension parts are probably off the warranty coverage, maybe a case for the steering components too!

#4 ·
liek been said any possible components that could be associated with the lowering.
possibly drive line issues aswell , they say because u change the angles but i say if it all been lowered the same how r the angle different, the onlt only that have changed are from liek the diff to the wheels, but best for u to ask anomously.
and if it does that easy but a spring compressor and swap springs if u eva have to take it to the dealer

#6 ·
Whenever I've heard the issue of aftermarket parts affecting warranties come up, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is always referenced to state that the law requires your warranty to be upheld unless it can be proven that your aftermarket part was at fault.

Here's the relevant point in the Wikipedia article linked above:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[2] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[3], and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

#7 ·
The J said:
Whenever I've heard the issue of aftermarket parts affecting warranties come up, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is always referenced to state that the law requires your warranty to be upheld unless it can be proven that your aftermarket part was at fault.

Here's the relevant point in the Wikipedia article linked above:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[2] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[3], and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.
Would not fancy taking a manufacturer to court where you have replaced a component with a component of a differing specification (eg lower springs).

The manufacturer would bring in the high charging lawyers and their engineering experts who designed the vehicle claiming the the difference in component sprecification contributed to the failure.

The Act would apply where you use an aftermarket componet of the same specification of the OEM component.

#8 ·
latan said:
Would not fancy taking a manufacturer to court where you have replaced a component with a component of a differing specification (eg lower springs).

The manufacturer would bring in the high charging lawyers and their engineering experts who designed the vehicle claiming the the difference in component sprecification contributed to the failure.

The Act would apply where you use an aftermarket componet of the same specification of the OEM component.
Actually, I never knew about your last sentence; that the Act would apply if the aftermarket part were of the same specs (but couldn't the manufacturer simply claim that it was a shoddy part that didn't meet their testing standards?). I meant that I've always read that the manufacturers couldn't, say, refuse to fix your stereo under warranty because you bought new springs. I'm no law expert, of course, but this is only what I've read when similar questions have come up in other message boards I visit.

#9 ·
if you wanted to take it to the ford dealer, and pay them to install their prefered brand of lowering springs then the warranty wont be an issue. maybe.

my bro in laws is a GM sales man, and they lifted a silverado for a guy, and even put a set of super swampers on it. buddy had money to burn!!, and the guy didnt want any of the stock parts back, so they sold them at a discount LoL, 100% profit on the 0km take off parts, including the rims and rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.