Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I had the oil changed on my '02 Escape XLT, I also requested a tire rotation. The techs at the shop told me that since I have an AWD vehicle I'm not supposed to rotate my tires, this has seemed really odd to me, but I haven't found anything to take in and show them differently, does anyone have anything that might help me? I am pretty confused... :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
What kind of a shop was it? I'd avoid them in the future or at least avoid that technician

Even if you have AWD, the tires should still be rotated to even out the wear. The front tires wear faster because they handle the turning and a majority of the power application.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with Sleeve it sounds like that tech didnt know what he was doing. You do have to rotate the tires to even out the wear. Sounds like you need to find another shop.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, I just re-read the owners manual on my lunch break and FORD recommends that you rotate the tires.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When I rotate mine here is how I do it. I alternate between the full X pattern, and X the front to the back and bring the back straight forward. I have 39,000 miles on my factory Conti's, and they are about half worn.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
For non-directional tires which come OEM, I would rotate every 10,000miles using the X pattern( FR to RL, FL to RR, RL to FR, and RR to FL).

I have new directional tires and these just get switched from front to rear staying on the same side. Hope this helps. Dont let them rotate your tires unless you mark the tires so you know they went to the right place, and check your torque on the lugs, they should be at 100lbs so your rotors dont warp. Good luck!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dang, go back and tell them you have a FWD vehicle, that very rarely is an AWD vehicle. Even still the weight bias is usually more on the front end of any car. You should rotate. Find a new shop!

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,647 Posts
The only time I have heard you should not rotate your tires is when the front tires are a different size than the rear tires. The Escape is not that way. I agree with what all the others have said. Go to a different shop and rotate your tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Provoxt said:
A couple of months ago I had the oil changed on my '02 Escape XLT, I also requested a tire rotation. The techs at the shop told me that since I have an AWD vehicle I'm not supposed to rotate my tires, this has seemed really odd to me, but I haven't found anything to take in and show them differently, does anyone have anything that might help me? I am pretty confused... :confused:
I have a 2007 XLT with 4WD. The owners manual even has a suggested rotation pattern for it that differs for the pattern of a FWD. The problem with mine is I just bought it last month, it doesn't look like the previous owner (one owner lease) rotated the tires and now they are out of round and make a lot of noise, especially at 50-60 mph. I'll live with the noise and replace the tires when the front ones wear down. It looks like the dealer moved the tires front to back and back to front. Check your owner's manual but I think it would be best to rotate the tires for even wear and then buy a new set of 4 when it's time to replace them. - Lynnius Maximus

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've always used the straight rotation (front to rear) regardless of whether the tyres are directional. In the 70's I can remember my dads car having several blowouts and using the X rotation method was supposedly a factor as changing directions in the tyres has caused stress failure in the steel belts.

The Territorys service book states the straight rotation method (cannot remember what the Escape book said) and on the Goodyear website they also recommend the straight rotation. Given that Goodyears are the factory tyre I would expect that they should be the same recommendation.

However on the Bridgestone web they recommend the X rotation method with different rotation directions between a front and rear drive vehicle. They also include the straight rotation which they say was introduced with the radial tyres.

No doubt radial tyres have improved over 40 years and hopefully changing directions will not affect the integrity of a modern tyre. However the only time I have ever had a blowout (which occured while I was overtaking a semi on the highway - fortunately it was a rear tyre & didn't seriously affect the handling of my falcon:) was on tyres that more then likely had been fitted on both directions. So I have always stuck to the straight rotation method.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've always rotated my Tires in a X, however with my last car (Subaru WRX), in the dealer they told me to always rotate front to back (it had directional Michelins) at least their cars, due to the AWD system.

In the E, i just put a set of BFGs and in the tire shop they told me to rotate in X. So, I agree, you have to rotate your tires, wheter is in X or front to back, I don't know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as which way to rotate my tires, I will just look at which kind they are and go by manufacturer suggestion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
that is funny just went to have mine rotated and the guy was like yours is 4x4 you shouldnt rotate and keep best in back. I was like noway dude rotate them I can not even remember when I used 4x4. And I dont want the worst tires where they get the most wear. Oh then tried to sell me expensive lug nuts for $30. ha ha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts