Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search and came up with nothing, so pardon me if this has been discussed and feel free to post the link.

2000 Escape XLT with sunroof. After rain, but not every rain, the passenger side front floor FILLS with water. We have run through the car wash, ran the hose over everything, and still can't find a leak :cuss: Doesn't seem to do it while driving, just when parked. Sunroof is closed all the way and the headliner is not wet but obviously that is my first thought. Windshield is next, but don't find anything there. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, but thanks for trying. I've even opend the roof and poored water in the channel to check the drains. They run out onto the ground behind the front wheels. Only the passenger side is getting wet. The headliner is dry as well. Has to be comming in from firewall or windshield I would think.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So I would check to see if your water is coming in from the fresh air intake for the AC and Heating system where the cabin filter is located. You want to remove the windshield cowl on the passenger side and make sure the plastic shield is covering the cabin filter area and hasnt been dislodged. then I would check to see if the plastic peice that holds the cabin filter is in place and sealed properly into the firewall under the windshield.

Other than that you could have an issue with the weather striping on the top of the front or rear door. If your floor is filing with water there is definatly a big leak somewhere. Good luck. Ohh and for the moonroof Im not sure but I think there are four drains, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Possibly a leak in the door area. My older car had that issue and I would have water come in. Didn't fill the floor but it did get stuff wet. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!! I've check the door seals and again, sprayed water all around. I did find a bunch of leaves under the hood that might keep the water around the cowl. I'm going to check the cabin filter and I'll bet that's what it is! I'll report back after checking.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same problem. I concluded that the drain for the fresh air intake must be plugged with debris, So I removed the plastic shield and the plastic seal around to cabin air filter. Then I poked around, found no obstructions. I pored water down the hole very carefully. I used a can with a length of hose on it so the water only went to the bottom of the void. It drained out immediately. From this inconclusive test I assume the rain water(not the test water from the hose) is not reaching the bottom of the void . Perhaps some deflector is missing? My next step is to dismantle the cowling around the fan on the passengers footwell - on the inside of the cab. Any suggestions how to do this/where to look?
The water ingress is severe - a modest rain saturates the passengers carpet completely.It causes the car to mist up and it is a major pain to remove the carpets completely to dry them.
I hope this helps others with the same problem.
Tony

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had this problem in my parents old ranger a while back. We would spray it with a hose with no results. Eventually we found it was coming in around the antenna and running down the cable eventually ending up in the front passenger floor area. The antenna wasn't fit properly and water would get it.

Might not be your problem, but it is something quick and easy to check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This thread is a year old, but our 2010 has this same problem. Had an incredible rain today, so I took a look.
Seems that, halfway down the door seal, around the side mirror area, is a piece of rubber that covers much of the channel.
I am guessing that this rubber piece is deflecting the doorseal, which it touches, allowing water into the cabin.
Should be reproducable with a hose pouring over the top of the door. I will attempt to recreate.

My question: Is it worth taking to the dealer, getting an approved warranty fix, before I go modifying the doorseal myself?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any chance you have to get someone else to pay for your repairs, DO IT! Then once you're way past warranty, feel free to put on the MacGyver hat (or Red Green) and figure something out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sunroofs don't seal when closed. On the sides and front the water that leaks through into channels then down through tubes in the A-pillars. Make sure when you pour water in there the water comes out the tubes in the bottom. Another thing to check is the tray along the rear edge of the sunroof. Ensure it's is not broken and slides into place when the sunroof closes, otherwise the rain water will flow inside the roof liner down the inside of the a-pillar and onto the floor under the carpet.

Know how I know? :doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, playing with the doorseals made no difference. What did work was reversing the truck into the driveway.
So the passenger door only leaks when parked on the uphill side.

I suspect the door may be slightly incorrectly mounted, so the seals are not always completely tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts