Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok silly question here....how often do you wax your vehicle? Do you wax it each time you wash it? Once or twice a month? How often should someone wax their vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Usually twice a year here. Fall and spring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You should wax it once or twice a year. Me...ummmmmm...my daily driver is 8 years old and it's been waxed three times. I am planning on doing my wife's Escape soon though.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
As much as I can through the year. This year Im up to like 5

·
Registered
322 Posts
When the automatic car wash 'waxes' it!

Hand wax (I use ICE) I try to do twice a yr also.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
weebee said:
Usually twice a year here. Fall and spring.
That's probably the minimum it should be done...

08HybridOK said:
When the automatic car wash 'waxes' it!
That's been my theory for the last 8 years or so... :doh:

In 8 years, my Escape was had waxed one by me and once by a detail shop after a muddy FunRun about 5 years ago. Other than that, I wash my Escape with a soap that has a protectant in it. Not the best protection but better than nothing...

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Yes there is. If too many coats of wax is applied to a car it will become very hard to buff it out. It will just roll up in little balls and make a heck of a mess. I did that once with the first car I bought and I ended up washing the car with Dawn dish soap to strip the wax and start all over. I was waxing the car every weekend.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Usually what I'll do is wash it down with Dawn dish soap, get it good and dry, then take the clay bar to it, lay some polish to it, then put a good coat of wax on it. I've done this twice this year. Yeah.. I get bored...

·
Registered
758 Posts
"Yes there is. If too many coats of wax is applied to a car it will become very hard to buff it out. It will just roll up in little balls and make a heck of a mess." :confused: What in the heck does "roll up in little balls and make a heck of a mess mean? :confused:

I normally put two wash and wax twice a month. It only takes me around 75 minutes. I clay bar the vehicle in late March/early April before beginnning this routine.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
i] :confused: What in the heck does "roll up in little balls and make a heck of a mess mean? :confused:

What part don't you understand? Little balls of wax, or a heck of a mess?? :bang: :doh: :lol: After awhile if you keep adding more wax on top of old, built up wax it won't won't adhere when you go to buff it out. It will just roll into tiny balls of wax and then you'll have a heck of a mess. And you'll need to strip the wax off and start over.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My Maverick gets a full polish and sealent treatment every month from spring to autumn, using Autoglym Super Resin polish, followed by at least 2 coats of Autogym Extra Gloss Protection.

It also gets the full claybar treatment every spring and late autumn.

P.S., a full coat of polish means that doorshuts, engine bay, wheels etc also get a polish..

Never once had a problem with application as described by weebee, but I have encountered other people whom have experienced that, mainly because of the quality of the polish.

Maybee I'm a bit excessive, but my car shines, and doesn't look 7 years old.................

·
Registered
758 Posts
weebee said:
i] :confused: What in the heck does "roll up in little balls and make a heck of a mess mean? :confused:

What part don't you understand? Little balls of wax, or a heck of a mess?? :bang: :doh: :lol: After awhile if you keep adding more wax on top of old, built up wax it won't won't adhere when you go to buff it out. It will just roll into tiny balls of wax and then you'll have a heck of a mess. And you'll need to strip the wax off and start over.
What part don't I understand? None. I have never experienced what you have stated even in upper 40F sunny weather.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Katscan said:
I use Meguires Gold polish, is that good?
Meguires is basically a better version of Turtlewax IMHO.

I much prefer Autoglym, which whilst not being cheap, the results are hard to beat, although to take the Maverick to "the next level" in polishing, I would have to use Dodowax, but that's a quite expensive product.

About a year ago, a member on here (Arbs) gave me details of the following forum, which is an absolute mine of information with regards to vehicle detailing, well worth an explore....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

·
Registered
574 Posts
So is the Clay Bar treatement kind of a Brazilian Wax for your Escape then? :blush:

Seriously, Meguiar's or California Gold for me, and typically once in the spring, once in the summer (in the shade of the Garage, of course) and once late fall. Been doing this for 25 years of car ownership and my cars seem to hold up well, even resisted the dreaded Honda stone chipping on the front.

I use the California Gold cleaner wax in the spring, and then the Carnuba (either CG or Meguiar's, whatever Canadian tire has on sale) the other times.

I use the Turtle Wax color match Black on my wife's Black car to hide her ....minor encounters. Works great and holds up well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts