Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
My condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims of 9/11.

I was on the way to a conference in Denver eight years ago this morning. My flight from Buffalo to Chicago O'Hare was complete, and I was waiting for my connecting flight to Denver when all flights were grounded. I had to rent a car and drive home. It took 11 hours with all of the traffic. I got home at 1AM Wednesday morning and spent about four hours watching the news before I just couldn't stay awake anymore. My luggage was delivered the following Sunday.

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,778 Posts
My condolences to all those who gave their lives on 9/11. I ended up getting 2 days off with pay because of this day. I remember sitting in the conference room and watching the local channels. About noon, they came in and told us non-essential personnel to go home.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
The 2007 Tribule lights from the street in front of my house:

I'll never forget that day. It was an absolutely beautiful morning. I was driving into work and I had Howard Stern on the radio. Gary (aka Baba Booey) came into the studio to tell them a plane crashed into one of the towers. At first they thought it was something small. I got into work and we put on the news radio and listed. When we heard the second tower was hit, my boss closed the office and we went to her house to watch the news on her TV and get a better idea of what was happening. Soon after we got there, the first tower fell. We were all in shock... Then the second tower fell. We didn't know what to do. I went up to a park on the Hudson that looked over at the city. As I approached the overlook, a fighter jet flew overhead. After it passed, I noticed just how quite it was. No jets or planes in the sky. It was eerie. When I got to the overlook, the south end of the island was completely blanketed in a cloud of dust. The only thought in my head was 'My God'. I truly hope we never have to see anything like that again...

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at home when it came on the news. I remember watching in shock and disbelief. I later learned that my Cousin and Uncle were both in NYC and close by to the twin towers but both in different locations. My Cousin tried to call my Uncle on her cell but the cell phones were not working. She eventually found a land line and they both met up. My Cousin was all covered in soot. Rob, I can just imagine how you felt being in such close proximity. It must of been horrifying.

I recall the eerie silence in the sky in the days following. So many lives lost.... How naive I was to think that this would never happen here....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Like the day that JFK was killed, I will always remember that day, and what I was doing.

I was just getting ready to leave for work, watching the Today Show in the background, when they broke in about a plane hitting the first tower. Shortly thereafter, I saw the live shot of the plane hitting the second tower. Then the unbelieveable sight of the towers collapsing. I'll never forget the sight. I ran into work, and they were already going into lockdown mode. Because I work for a defense contractor, and it was still unknown if the horror was finished, we had to initiate protective actions. All non-employees had to leave, and portable guardshacks went up at all entrances, and stayed there for months afterward.

After a few days, we started to hear the names of local passengers on those Boston originating flights. An engineer from my plant (who was a former astronaut, Chuck Jones), who I knew only vaguely, had died on one flight. Two other folks from one of our plants in Rockville, MD, died in the Pentagon. One of the co-pilots was from a Massachusetts town where my sister-in-law lives (Dracut). Another passenger left a wife and two daughters in my neighborhood.

As another enemy found out after Pearl Harbor, "we have awoken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve". I remember the pride of seeing every house in our neighborhoods, and main streets, and cars and trucks, bedecked with American flags flying ...

No matter what you think of how we got there, be proud of the American soldier, sailor, and airman, who heard his country cry out in pain, and rushed to it's defense, and serves his duty with pride and honor ...

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
My condolences.

I was driving to work that morning.
My usual routine, was a pit stop at petrol servo.
I usually stock up with iced tea, for the work place lunch room fridge.

When i saw the photo on newspaper, my reaction was thorough shock.
Did not even need to read, because i comprehended the significance immediately.
I knew that this event, would change all our lives.

The inner emotion, was a sense of an ill omen.
Yes i could see it, as a sign of future things to come.
Have to admit, that i felt scared and quite uncomfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.