Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so when my amp and subs are on (volume off or on) everything is fine. but when i turn on my parking lights/dash lights switch, the subs start to rumble to the magnaflow exhaust.. any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Woah bummer dude, that's a real drag. I'm going to assume you're using aftermarket head-unit, wiring, amp and subs. It could be:

Bad ground - terminate amp ground directly to clean frame, which means prepping the spot so there is no paint/primer or oxidation. A little fine grit sandpaper and 3M scotchbrite pads can remedy that problem in a jiffy.

EMI - Electro-Magnetic interference. Are your speaker wires insulated and cut/nick free? Is the audio signal cable from the head-unit insulated? Did you run the audio signal cable down the same path as the 12v power from the battery? This is one of the most common causes for this type of reaction. You might try isolating the cables from power as much as possible. I ran 12v/Amp remote feed down the left side of my vehicle, and the audio signal wires down the right. It's a lot of work but it's worth it to be able to rule out this kind of issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
SilverAthlon said:
EMI - Electro-Magnetic interference. Are your speaker wires insulated and cut/nick free? Is the audio signal cable from the head-unit insulated? Did you run the audio signal cable down the same path as the 12v power from the battery? This is one of the most common causes for this type of reaction. You might try isolating the cables from power as much as possible. I ran 12v/Amp remote feed down the left side of my vehicle, and the audio signal wires down the right. It's a lot of work but it's worth it to be able to rule out this kind of issue.
Pretty sure SilverAthlon said it best here... If they are run on the same side this could be an easy fix...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply,

i did infact run my remote wire/ rca wires / and power wire down the same path, so it sounds like you might be right on with that diagnosis. i will wait for a warm day and run the audio wires down the other side of the truck. also re-do the ground properly.

thanks again

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think you will solve your problems, and if you have to have the wires cross, try to cross them at a t rather than parallel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also, make sure that your ground wire from the amp is only as long as it needs to be, no extra slack or "service coil" and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts