Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I'm glad there were no injuries.

Why a matter of time? Short runway?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I'm also glad no one was hurt.

We have a local airport near me (Teterboro) that had a plane skid off the runway, hit a car and then a warehouse building. This was back in 2005. One person, the driver of the car, was killed:

The airlines were fighting to make the airport accessible to larger jets (727 and bigger). Luckily, there is legislation preventing this due to noise issues. I used to live in an apartment directly in line of the airport runway. There were times it sounded like the jets were trying to land on the roof. I'm amazed there aren't more accidents.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ajax said:
I'm glad there were no injuries.

Why a matter of time? Short runway?
Nope, as the runway is long enough to cope with Boeing 747's, (although they don't often land here), and Concorde has also landed here a few times, back in the 1980's....

The main problem is the altitude of the runway, and the fact that the North Western end of the runway is built on an embankment, with does catch the wind ( makes for some exciting landings if it's windy).

But this does happen quite a lot, mainly due to the airport having a flying school based there..

But there have been a small number of serious accidents too, viz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_Brad ... al_Airport

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
That's bad Last week we had a two engine plane go down up where we ATV. They radioed that they had clipped a tree and that was all that was heard from them. It took 3 fixed wing planes and 2 choppers along with S & R on the ground 3 days to find the plane. Both men were dead on impact. :shades:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.