Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had the Black Signature Series on my 07 Mariner. They are of good quality for aftermarket bars. On the positive side, they will set your ride apart from all those with OEM step bars. I'm not sure where you live, but the powdercoating on the brackets started to flake and minor surface rust started to appear after the 2nd winter.

I debated what to get on my 08. OEM only offered black -- which I didn't really want this time. I decided to get Westin again -- only this time Stainless Oval bars. They look real nice. However, there are times I wish I had the OEM running boards. The OEM really fit nice. My bars are stainless, and have a lifetime warranty. However, the brackets are black powdercoated, and the hardware is not stainless. This sort of negates the purpose of buying stainless bars. They should at least have stainless H/W IMO. If you do go with them, and you live in the midwest (salt in winter), I'd suggest protecting all pieces with a high quality paint sealant (often). I'd also suggest coating the h/w with clear silicone caulk after installation. I still like the looks of mine (compared to OEM), but I doubt they will last a lifetime. For some odd reason, I received a 2nd complete set of brackets and h/w with my order. I was very pleased of this.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
"Hardware" = bolts? As it's not a critical load-bearing part, you can probably find matching stainless replacements at Home Depot. I would treat any non-stainless steps with spray-on bedliner paint. My OEM steps started rusting three years ago and by then it was too late to just paint them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for these tips. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a set. I'm leaning towards the oval stainless steel version.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive got tube bars on my escape, and they are great for the kids, but for me all they do is get crap on my pant legs when i get in and out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
johnnymossville said:
Thanks for these tips. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a set. I'm leaning towards the oval stainless steel version.
You can see mine in my signature pic. I have a closeup pic I can get/post from home this evening (if I remember). My only complaint is they do not extend all the way back to the rear (like OEM running boards). They still work excellent for the kids (that's why I have them as well). They are quite sturdy. I can put my full weight on them (and bounce) no problem (while washing the roof, etc.).

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I currently have the factory supplied side steps. Have to admit, are partial to those oval stainless steel style steps. For example what escapedtroy has on his car. :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Very good picture of the side step.

Although I am tall and not a fan of the steps, due to pant leg soiling, they do look better than the factory steps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kkreit01 said:
Here's the best closeup I have:

Great pic, thanks for showing me that. I have another question, is it true these could help prevent a door dent or two from people opening doors into you?

I read that on the Westin website.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
They do with compacts like the Civic, although I'm not sure about mid-size or larger sedans. Definitely won't help with other SUV's doors, as the door has to be low enough to hit the steps first, and they can't be too curved as then the bottom will miss the step.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello johnnymossville. I find that it helps as a buffer zone. That's the main reason i had side steps installed. Have noticed this , mostly at the supermarket car parks. People quite often open their car doors, hard against my side step. I don't mind, because it can't be doing their door much good.

Initially it was annoying, but i disregard it now. Unfortunately that is human nature. In their ignorance, they just have no respect for other peoples property. Truly amazing how selfish humans can be. It is both men and women. They can be in a rough old bomb, or it will be a quite new model. Absorbed in their own little world. It is futile to make a comment to them. . They emanate a persona of ' Pig Ignorance '.

I was amused one day. The car park was full. There was this person, unpacking their trolley. It amazes me why people conduct themselves, as though there is an emergency. Had to be patient, and i was willing to wait. This character, was going flat out packing groceries into back seat. It was a little but quite new car. While she was packing her car, the whole body of car was moving. What? :shock: She had that many items, that her door was pressed hard into my side step. :shock: :lol:

So basically even though she had a new car, it was her door that would be suffering. Her car body moved from left to right, while it was being packed. :lol: Periodically her door cleared my side step, and then it would press in hard. I wanted to make comments, but then i possibly, would have been subjected to a horrible attitude. So henceforth i refrained. Every time people do this, there appears to be no damage on my door. So this indicates, that my sidesteps are actually providing a buffer zone.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ya they will stop the dents from small vehicles, but thats about it. the only thing i really like about them is its easier to wash the roof, and my kids climb in on their own.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If you're worried door dents, add a pair of SportWing body side moldings. I added the chrome-strip versions of them to my Edge.

For the 2008+ E/M/T, they're available only without the chrome strip: http://www.sportwing.net/fordescape08fe.aspx

The paint match on my moldings was perfect.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great comments People! Door dents and the people that create them bug the crap out of me. I know they are pretty much inevitable over time, but they are just one of those things,... LOL

As far as the steps go, I would say that if they prevent one or two dings over the life of the car it's just an added bonus. I think having the steps for my young kids, and having something to stand on to wash the car is even better.

The body-color side molding would definitely work as well, and they look really good. Not obtrusive to the design of the vehicle at all.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
johnnymossville said:
Great comments People! Door dents and the people that create them bug the crap out of me. I know they are pretty much inevitable over time, but they are just one of those things,... LOL

As far as the steps go, I would say that if they prevent one or two dings over the life of the car it's just an added bonus. I think having the steps for my young kids, and having something to stand on to wash the car is even better.

The body-color side molding would definitely work as well, and they look really good. Not obtrusive to the design of the vehicle at all.
the second day i had my escape. it got a scuff in the front bumper. 3 days later i come out to the parking lot, and there was one in the rear bumper on the same side. i was not a happy person. and i get irritated by it every time i wash it. i feel your pain with the dents.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I was sitting in the car in a parking lot a few years back when a guy in a Civic slammed his door into the side of my car. I would have been a lot louder had the side steps not saved my paint (and chipped his paint back :D ).

·
Registered
490 Posts
BTW: I checked my receipt last night. I purchased the oval tubes from TruckCustomizers.com. They were excellent. I literally received them the next day (they came from KC, and I live in KC!). I didn't even have a chance to tell the wifey I purchased them :whistle: . I paid $348 shipped. It appears they are around $340 now (including mounting brackets).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts