Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a good rain I have a damp drivers side floor. I have an xm radio and have a tiny tiny wire I lay across the door seal for the antenna. The first time I notice the dampness I moved it from the side of the door to the middle on the bottom and this morning noticed the wet floor again. I am going to keep the antenna inside and see what happens. Has anyone else had this happen with the xm radio antenna .
If this does not work I guess my next thing I have to do is remove the carpet pour water along the seal and see where the leak is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't have the problem, or a wire thru the door; but I do notice if after a good rain, when I open the door, water pours out of drain holes on the bottom of the door.
I guess they are 'plugged' when the door is closed, and drain when the seal is broken. if this happens to be where your wire is 'breaking the seal' I could see it draining into the car instead.
On my door they are just 2 long oval slits at the bottom.
Is the weatherstripping still all soft & squishy?
Moonroof?
Can you tell if the water is getting in at the door, or elsewhere (under dash)? [Do modern cars have the outside cowl leak problem like cars from the 60's do?]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Mercury Mariner also and its been leaking somewhere for the last month. My drivers side carpet is soaked! Its been raining for the last week and a half. I checked the sun roof...nothing. I checked the door seals. I don't see where it can be leaking there. When I sit in the car, I don't feel it coming in...its just getting wetter. I shop vacced the water out.....waiting to see if I can find it eventually. Any ideas??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would take off the door panel and look inside. Like mentioned it sounds like the drain holes in the door are plugged.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
lynnejenni said:
I have a 2010 Mercury Mariner also and its been leaking somewhere for the last month. My drivers side carpet is soaked! Its been raining for the last week and a half. I checked the sun roof...nothing. I checked the door seals. I don't see where it can be leaking there. When I sit in the car, I don't feel it coming in...its just getting wetter. I shop vacced the water out.....waiting to see if I can find it eventually. Any ideas??
Hi lynnejenni.

I recommend taking your Mariner to a Ford dealer to have them look at this leak. Let me know how it goes!

Ashley

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had a water leak inside a car twice in the past. Both times it was due to a plugged drain hose.
The first time it was the sunroofs drain hose. This ran from the sunroof gutter to the under body.
The last time it was the drain hose for the A/C condisate. That one ran from under the dash to under the car.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Also check the tray under the hood between the firewall and windshield for debris clogging the drain holes. If it fills up the water will force its way through trunks and air intakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie lurking around looking for answers. Our 2010 Escape developed same problem. Driver side floor soaked, no water anywhere else. I've been under car, inside hood, checked moon roof and even suspected windshield seal for awhile. The windshield seal has a noticeable gap about halfway down the window. Poured water into this area, in the rain channel on top of car and in the "gutter" for the moonroof. All of this water exits just rear of the front wheels where the splash gard for the tires are - as I would expect. With carpet partially removed (so I can see entire floorboard) I see no evidence of any of this water seeping into the cabin. All seals look good, plugs present and supple, and door drains are clear. At this point I am suspecting it may be from the a/c and coming from the console area near the gas pedal but I see no detectable rust or wet areas there (though it could have all drained into the carpet before I removed and inspected). I guess my question for someone knowledgeable or experience is: Is there some sort of drain tube for the a/c condenser/evaporator located inside the cabin under the console? I've seen water leak into the cabin from a faulty grommet thru the firewall on a mitsubishi where the drain line passes through the firewall but I cant seem to find such a feature on the Escape. Any and all help would be appreciated and I'll pass on any information I come across. Also, I forgot to mention that we have also been having unprecedented rainfall this year. This vehicle gets minimal driving in the rain and I highly doubt it is coming from underneath vehicle from driving in wet conditions.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't speak for your Escape, but I know for a fact that my 08 edge's AC has a drain. I actually disconnected the drain hose going to it, stuck a coat hanger in it and the water pored out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owner of 2008 escape. drivers side floor wet after rain. Husband tested sunroof drain with water, drain was half plugged, causing water to back up, and escape at the end of the aluminum track slide and run under the headliner along the outside of drain to the floor. Blew air through drain and used silicone on both sides of car at ends of aluminum tracks to seal gaps. No more problems!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts