Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a thread that had a pic of a 2007 Escape with the "wet trunk" storage in the rear. Where is the spare mounted in this configuration?

thx

Paul

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
All newer models mount the spare underneath. It has been that way since the Hybrid, because the wet trunk is where the hybrid batteries typically go.

Also, it is where I chose to mount my false floor for my amps.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Not easy. Just mounting it underneath would kill your ground clearance and could even have the spare tire hit on speed bumps. You would have to cut out the bottom of the trunk and weld in a flatter piece, as well as adding a pulley system or some other way to easily remove the tire on the side of the road.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I was considering that option, but you are correct Squishy. It's not easy, and there is too much involved. A lot of effort in re-improvising, plus having ground clearance reduced is a disadvantage. Fortunately, i have never had to use my spare tire. Anyway i prefer it in its current location, as under the cargo floor carpet.

Have found it easy , removing spare from current factory position. As you mentioned a pulley system would be required. It would be a pain. Crawl around under car, to winch down tire and winch up. I agree with you Squishy, as in it's not a practical set up.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You are better off considering the safest alternative...run flat tires. OR, you can do as Ford has chosen to do with many of their cars, install a can of fix o flat and a compressor...and a pat on the back.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i used to carry a tire repair kit in my tool box, after i got new tires, and could afford newer vehicles and roadside assistance, i dont. but it is an option for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ask my salesman how to remove the spare on my 09 Escape and he said the truck comes with five years roadside assistance just call this number and handed me a card. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That's retarded. There are some places a tow truck might take ~1+ hour to reach you, and when you need to get going you need your spare.

I ended up installing one of my stock wheels and tires in the spare location. Fits fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts