Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have my escape as my first car and im loving it, no problems! It looks really nice it came in great shape. It only has three very minor flaws(cosmetic mind you), but im going to try and fix them myself since there so minor. First is a teeny tiny ding, i presume from someone opening a door into it. Not much to say about that. Im not sure if its as simple as taking the door panel off and popping it back out. The other two are a bit more interesting. My dad is saying its bird droppings acid that caused this and it looks like that is the case, on the back door there are two small areas that are almost cracking? just little dots around it. Pictures can say a thousand words so here you go:

Will wetsanding this with around 1200 then 1500 then 2000 do the trick? I really think im capable of getting these out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried two different rubbing compounds and one kind of filled it in a little, but it was still visable, i do have a electric buffer, should i use that with rubbing compound, or what would you use then polish? any suggestions on which brand

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I have a bottle of TurtleWax (I think) and it has done wonders. Our scenarios seem different thought... I had someone do a scrape-and-run (while also taking out a side view mirror) and the polish got rid of about 90% of the scratches... mostly limited to the clearcoat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i know what you mean, that does wonders on almost all scratches, i decided to cave and wetsand the escape! so i had two that looked like this:

The first one i wetsanded with 1000grit and noticed it start to go away, so i kept at it, eventually i noticed some blue in the water, so immediately stopped, i had gone too far, so i moved onto the 2000grit, bad idea as it took a little more of the blue away. so i used some touch up paint and then wetsanded that down with 2000grit, it doesnt look very good but better than before, then i switched to the rubbing compound to take out the sand paper marks, and then waxed it.
The second one i know new my limits, and i saw the the fractures were just about gone so i went straight to the rubbing compound then into the wax and it came out fantastic.
I guess you win some and you lose some, in the end i guess its a wash since i got rid of one but made the other one worse.

its noticable from a distance=(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That is a problem in the clearcoat. I had a problem on my old ford probe just like that. Ford ended up repainting the car. They said it happened to a lot of the Probes. Well I have had bird poop and on other cars and it usually just etches the clear. When I see that I'm thinking there was some kind of contaminate on the base coat that made the clear crack and get "crows feet". Ford told me that it doesnt happen right away and could take a few years to show signs of problems. You could get some clear coat touch up spray to fix the clear.

I have a auto paint dealer here that makes custom touch up paint and special clear coats. So the one I bought was by BASF and was called Cut In Clear. Once you spray the clear they sell a chemical that you spray on the over spray that will blend the clear into your existing paint. Then you wet sand it with 2000-2400 grit paper and buff. I cannot be held responsible for the outcomes of this but I have done it before on my wifes car and it came out beautiful. Can't even tell anything had been done. I have some experience with painting tho.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think im gonna get some ultimate compound and my touch up paint and some 2000 grit wet dry and go to town until i can get it to blend in as much as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.