Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides 10,000km between oil changes is there gonna be a big differance in my vehicle if i switch to full synthetic? I have a 3 year free oil change program which i pay 4$ disposal fee at ford and the full synthetic oil will cost me 29$ extra?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Mostly longer drain intervals, but they also offer better cold-start protection (and that means cold-start!). If you regularly see temperatures below -20'C, I would switch to a synthetic 5W-20 or 0W-30 (0W-20 if you can find it) for the winter. If not, and I don't think Brampton sees such cold temperatures, stick with the free oil until the deal is over. Then you can switch if you want to.

I think synthetics generally hold up better under heat and offer better shear stability as well, so use a synthetic for heavy towing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Listen to the Squishy, Oil has been a hot topic on every car forum I visit. Unless you drive under X-treme conditions, stick with the free changes and pay the disposal fee.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's what i thought. Thanks guy's. :beer: :popcorn:

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are doing dealer changes, you are fine with the semi-synthetic MC oil. It has proven itself to be great. You'll need to stay within the manufacturer intervals while you are under warranty anyway. Ford wouldn't recommended a 7500 interval if they didn't feel confident their oil could last that long.

I do my own changes, so I plan to use mostly synthetic. All of it was purchased on sale or with rebates. There is a very large "oil forum" -- which I have also been a member of for years. There, you'll find more information than you ever could wish for.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
went to the dealer today and got the regular oil and tire rotation for 10000km and cost me a whopping 27$ Have to bring it in next week for the 911 assist sync upgrade and roof trim replacement. Also had them paint the 4 corners of my hatch which they said alot of vehicles have had this problem.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the squish has spoken.. and i agree. its gets to -40 here so my escape always has had synthetic since ive owned it. other then the transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
On those days you can really tell who has inferior oil in their engines. :lol:

Crank Crank Crank TAP TAP TAP TAP SQUEEEEAK. :fan:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats a good one. you can also hear who has a chev 4.3 with crap seals running 15W40.. HAHAHA, crrrrrrrrrranK, crrrrrrrrrrank, haha

not that i would know.... :angel:

·
Registered
263 Posts
kkreit01 said:
If you are doing dealer changes, you are fine with the semi-synthetic MC oil. It has proven itself to be great. You'll need to stay within the manufacturer intervals while you are under warranty anyway. Ford wouldn't recommended a 7500 interval if they didn't feel confident their oil could last that long.
I agree, I've always religiously used Ford dealerships with MC oil for oil changes, or any work for that matter and never once had a problem with sludge or poor viscosity. If you follow the Ford recomendations in the owner book, you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have been using Royal Purple synthetic in all of my cars Festiva,mustang,Fusion,and now escape and have noticed the engine run far smoother then when used with reg oil. My mustang which is supercharged runs cooler also with it. I bought my ford escape brand new then waited 10000 miles and changed the transmission oil and engine oil. The 20mph harsh upshift is gone and the engine is smoother then when new. I dont know if its just me but when i opened the valve cover of my ford festiva with 170000 miles everything looked brand new. The only problem is a small leak and no smoke whatsoever. My automotive teacher told me that synthetics do work better especially in Hawaii where i live where its humid and hot all year round. He said transmissions with synthetic last longer due to less heat and wear so i think in the long run if your planning to keep your car forever then stick with synthetics if you wait too long and the car already have leaks i would stay clear from them. Oh on the plus side I feel more confident going longer intervals with synthetic.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Hey, how did I miss that this was in P&S? I'm getting old and sloppy. :worry:

Escape isn't broken, so off to Tailgate Chat!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.